Thread: NAWCC - Gallet Guest Curator-wristwatches. 'blog'

A forum that includes information from the NAWCC Library and archives
GLADIATOR

Re: Thread: NAWCC - Gallet Guest Curator-wristwatches. 'blog

#11 Post by GLADIATOR » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:26 am

Nookster wrote:I missed that part of the first wrist watch.....

I will look for some of my ads. I was going to make a link to Hamilton Ads and other ads for other brands for people to post, the only problem is non members come in here and look and take stuff.

I just did some cool identification stuff that will be done by Christmas.
Hi Mark
Yes I really need a different '5 continents' I will donate mine and that will go with the watch in the showcase, but I want one up on the graphic collage.
My email is adam007@gmail.com

Needs high definition scans

Thanks
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
Visit Here:http://highercailber.com/
Adam R Harris

GLADIATOR

#12 Post by GLADIATOR » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:35 pm

Every Sign Tells a Story.

“If one flower can say 1,000 words, think what a bunch would say,” so the quote says.

In my task case – a permanent wristwatch display showing the ‘history of the wristwatch’ it is going to take a lot more than a lot of timepieces or words. Too many words and people get tired, too few and no message is given. Similar with the timepieces – too many and people just cannot take it all in.

How to get round this is a mixture of words (descriptions) and powerful graphics. My goal is to make a display, with bold graphics where the “picture’ tells the story. Easy? Actually no. Luckily I have a lot of experience and talent around me, and with their help, I am sure we will achieve our goal.

Therefore since last update, I am concentrating on the ‘date line’ bullet descriptors, the individual watch descriptions and, of course, the graphics.

Below are some photographs of the first three displays that is:

1) 1900 – 1919
2) Hermetic/Purse watches
3) 1920s to 1940s

The date line summaries are my first draft, both Noel Poirier, myself and others are constantly going back to them to see not ‘if’ but how they can be improved. The graphics you see on the wall are purely the pictures I am intending to scan in and turn into powerful visuals.

Here is a picture of our ‘draft’ proposed graphics:
Next a picture of Display Case #1 with my 1st cut descriptor tags.

Here is some idea of graphics above Display Case #1:

Display Case # 2 – Hermetic (purse) watches

Display Case #3 – 1920 to 1940

Finally the draft graphics above Hermetic and Display Case # 3
Adam R Harris
National Watch & Clock Museum Gallet Guest Curator of Wristwatches
"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."
Adam R Harris

GJH

#13 Post by GJH » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:56 pm

Adam...
This is INCREDIBLE!!!!
I really hope to get my butt to the museum to see this!
Please keep us posted as to your progress... VERY exciting
My friend!!!!
G
Moderator Illinois Watch Forum
Still, Just living in Rick's world...

GLADIATOR

#14 Post by GLADIATOR » Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:05 pm

GJH wrote:Adam...
This is INCREDIBLE!!!!
I really hope to get my butt to the museum to see this!
Please keep us posted as to your progress... VERY exciting
My friend!!!!
G
Thanks Greg
probably another 10 weeks work, and i am in 7 days a week.

I also suspect i must leave before i see the final graphics in place (cry)
Adam R Harris

GLADIATOR

#15 Post by GLADIATOR » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:18 am

Light at the end of the tunnel and ‘exciting additions’

We are now 5 weeks into the setting up of a permanent wristwatch display, and slowly I can see ‘light at the end of the tunnel’

The fine tuning continues, with minor changes in each display case, I added three very interesting pieces but removed two that were duplicates
There are now 122 pieces on display 70 of which have not been displayed before, that is always exciting to a Museum.

During this week I completed the individual descriptions for ‘beginning of automatics’ (30s), 40/50 (complications), ‘electric timepieces’ (60/70s) and quartz (80s/90s)

I am particularly pleased with the ‘electric’ and automatic’ display cases. Not being so knowledgeable on electric timepieces, I had to do a lot of interesting research.

Another exciting incident happened this week. A member dropped off four very early Jeweler’s wristwatch window display units.
They were very distressed, probably having been stored in damp conditions for 60 yrs. Anyway, I immediately saw their fantastic potential and set about cleaning and restoring them. Two are now proudly out on display an early Elgin (30s) and a slightly later Gruen (50s).
Below you can see the results – I feel they really enhance the overall display, and are an important part of the ‘History of the wristwatch.’

See latest pictures below:
Adam R. Harris

1930/40 and 50s – Complications Arrive

80s and 90 – Quartz Arrives – Big Time

Birth of the Automatic – 1930s

Electrical wristwatches – predecessor to quartz

Added my original April 1918 letter from, King George V to all American WWI soldiers

Two NEW EXCITING additions!

Adam R Harris

GLADIATOR

#16 Post by GLADIATOR » Mon Oct 14, 2013 10:54 am

There is more to the Museum than ‘just’ setting up the display. Week 6

Of course my main task here is to set up the permanent wristwatch display – The History of the Wristwatch.
But other interesting events happen, that I enjoy immensely. This week we met and hosted the larger than like character Jim Ebright aka Eeeb from forum ‘Watch U Seek’.

After an 8 hour drive from Columbus, Ohio, Jim spent all day with use, starting with a full two hour tour of the library and archives. Thanks to Nancy Dyer , Librarian and Archivist. The library and records are just so extensive; it takes someone with Nancy’s huge knowledge to explain it.
After a quick lunch, I gave Jim a tour of the highlights of the Museum pieces culminating with a full tour of the ‘wristwatch’ display.
Jim is most knowledgeable in High end Quartz, and has offered to return with some pieces to augment the display.

Later in the week, I could enjoy meeting some visitors who had brought watches in for some ‘thoughts’. This is most interesting and it seems we could discover a previously unknown Illinois wristwatch. Fantastic stuff.

Now back to the display. I continue to work my way through the cases, I am pleased to have now completed layout and display tags from 1900 to present.
I re-tuned the ‘electric’ display, and I am now happy to that, and after much work on the ‘2000/Present’ display, that is really starting to take shape too.

Of course more ‘fine-tuning’ will happen, but next part of my agenda is the ‘novelty’ case and ‘graphics’

Adam

Pictures next
First the Electric Display – revamped:

Now the ‘present’ display:
Here is Desert Storm, Omega Speedmaster and a Timex Data-Link

Here is the ‘theme’ of the display – ‘Size Matters’

A few more shots of the display, comparing ’jump watches’ wristwatches from 1930, 1950, and 2000 and ‘eco-drive’ technology

Some updated ‘draft’ graphics, a letter from King George V to the American troops in 1918, Electa Officer wearing a watch and shrapnel guards advert from 1918:

All pictures are property of NAWCC and cannot be used without permission
Adam R Harris

HamiltonIllinois

#17 Post by HamiltonIllinois » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:38 am

What happened to all of the images??
Rick
scio me nihil scire or scio me nescire

GLADIATOR

#18 Post by GLADIATOR » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:44 am

HamiltonIllinois wrote:What happened to all of the images??
Hi Rick
after reaching 3000 images on PhotoBucket, I had to organize and make folders.
That seems to have now lkost the photos.
If anyone specifically asks, I can re-post them.

So far no one noticed!

Regard
Adam R Harris

watchdoc

#19 Post by watchdoc » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:34 am

Yes we did.

I ask one of the moderators about it quite some time ago in a pm, it was suggested you probably had removed or stopped your photobucket acct.
"A man is no better than what he leaves behind"
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!

GLADIATOR

#20 Post by GLADIATOR » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:46 am

watchdoc wrote:Yes we did.

I ask one of the moderators about it quite some time ago in a pm, it was suggested you probably had removed or stopped your photobucket acct.
No, it was quite unintentional, and I have all the photos in my account.
I am happy to reconstitute it.

Thanks
adam
Adam R Harris