great aunt's watch

Look here for help to identify your Hamilton Watch
cypressgreen

great aunt's watch

#1 Post by cypressgreen » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:39 am

1. I had it converted to quartz, but I did keep the guts. However, I cannot locate them at the moment.

2. The inside of the back case has some sort of yellow plasticky material made to fit to / cushion the new guts, so I cannot see the inside of the metal case.

3. What is inside does say and have four jewels, but I cannot read the rest of what it says.

4. Your resources here have been very helpful! I'm assuming this is one of those custom items that just used Hamilton guts?
Attachments
IMG_3477.JPG
IMG_3477.JPG (620.61 KiB) Viewed 523 times
IMG_3475.JPG
IMG_3475.JPG (308.63 KiB) Viewed 523 times
"I love dead people. In fact, I come from a long line of dead people."

afire

Re: great aunt's watch

#2 Post by afire » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:33 am

Start by reading the first post in this thread (and the rest if you're inclined):
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=8567
Since you can't see the inner case back, you can't confirm or deny that it's marked Hamilton. But if it's not marked Hamilton on the outside, then I think you can begin to suspect non-Hamilton jeweler's case. Other than that, you just have to pore over the catalogs just like the rest of us. Even if that is a factory model that shows up in the catalogs, there's nearly 0% likelihood that anybody will recognize it without resorting to methodically scanning the catalogs themselves.
Real men wear small watches.

cypressgreen

#3 Post by cypressgreen » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:33 pm

Yeah, I've looked at every catalog page I've found plus have been getting ebay and auction house alerts for a couple of years now. I've never found one with even the same face, much less the bracelet. I wish I could see the inside of the case, but when I tried to peel it up it started to crumble.
I suspect it's true then that it's just a Hamilton face and guts inside a custom case. Before I started lurking here I didn't even know that was common.

afire

#4 Post by afire » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:08 pm

Still, it's nice looking and a big hunk of platinum and diamonds. I'm sure these were anything but cheap at the time and still have value thanks to the materials used.
Real men wear small watches.

cypressgreen

#5 Post by cypressgreen » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:56 pm

Yeah, I love it and wear it all the time. It sat in a safe deposit box for a couple of decades, then, after Mom died, Dad handed off this and some other items in the box to my sister and I. I myself kept it at the bank for another decade, until I bought a home safe, which is far more convenient than a bank box and it paid for itself in just a couple of years. Eventually I decided to wear it.

Aunt Peg was a tiny woman, so I had to have extra links made to extend the band. Biggest cost. Plus they had to clean the face and I had it switched to battery. A lot of people think I'm crazy because I wear it all the time. But I say that life is short and we should enjoy what we have rather than save it for a day that never comes. I tell people it's just a glorified tennis bracelet!

It's the envy of my local jewelers and it was appraised at about 14k. But I would never sell it because it's a family piece.