Could this be a Sea Scout III from the 60's?

Look here for help to identify your Hamilton Watch
Halgedahl

Could this be a Sea Scout III from the 60's?

#1 Post by Halgedahl » Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:48 pm

Hello all,

Just joined today (12/1/16) and have found a Hamilton on the WUS sales forum under this heading: "FS Vintage Hamilton Dress Watch," posted by "cbomb." If anyone would have the time to look it up (I'm having trouble posting photos as I'm new and just discovering how these things work), I feel I may have located the watch in the 1964 Hamilton catalog, p. 20—the last watch in the row marked "Sea Scout III:" same stainless case; same "compass dial" small seconds; same painted numerals 2,4,6,8,10,12; same H, with Hamilton underneath. The hands? Well… I'm just not familiar enough with these watches, or how precisely depicted they were in the catalogs, to make a judgement. The watch appears in '65 and '66—the '67 catalog is missing, and seems to have been discontinued by '68. I scanned from '38–'68 just to be sure that there wasn't an earlier version.

I like the watch I see on WUS, but am unsure of its authenticity due, mainly, to the print on the dial. But I know so little! You experts need to tell me if this is what printing from the 60's looks like under such strong magnification. I'm excited to start a vintage collection, but want to get off on the right foot. This looks like a lovely example, but what would I know! Your help will be of inestimable value.

Many thanks! And best regards from Iowa,

Fred Halgedahl

Halgedahl

Re: Could this be a Sea Scout III from the 60's?

#2 Post by Halgedahl » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:13 pm

An update:

I just found—on the VWF's Master Photo Thread—the watch I'm referencing. It appears on p. 16, about half-way down the page, and is marked Sea Rover II (1962) Stainless Steel, Grade 688, Star, Admiral.

Could someone help me out with the additional references (Grade, Star, Admiral)?

Many thanks,

FH

Dave

Re: Could this be a Sea Scout III from the 60's?

#3 Post by Dave » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:36 pm

I can't find the ad on WUS to see exactly what you are looking at.

The additional references in the photo thread are series of movement (Grade 688), the case manufacturer (Star Watch Case Co.) and the original bracelet supplier (Admiral).