Please confirm 1930's watch and provided estimated worth?

Look here for help to identify your Hamilton Watch
Jaime

Please confirm 1930's watch and provided estimated worth?

#1 Post by Jaime » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:08 am

Hoping someone can give me an idea the value of this watch. After researching this and looking through catalogs on this site - I think this is the (minus the band) Eugenie from somewhere between 1928-1934.

There are 44 stones, the casing says "Wadsworth Platinum 0163959.

The movement says: Hamilton 17 Jewels, 989, E17327

Hoping someone maybe able to confirm my research above as well.

Thanks!
Attachments
Watch 1.jpg
Watch 1.jpg (4.71 MiB) Viewed 946 times
Watch 2.jpg
Watch 2.jpg (4.46 MiB) Viewed 946 times

coronado

Re: Please confirm 1930's watch and provided estimated worth

#2 Post by coronado » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:45 am

Yes, you're right on the model name... Eugenie from 1931 or so.

These are tough to valuate. Not of lot of Hamilton collectors avidly seek these out. Much of their value comes from the metal content and diamonds, and so they have more value as fine jewelry than as collectible watches in my opinion.

Check the eBay completed listings for Hamilton platinum and diamond ladies watches. They usually sell for anywhere between $400 to $1500. Sometimes more, sometimes less.

It's a neat watch and rare... first one I've seen.

Jaime

#3 Post by Jaime » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:49 am

Thanks Coronado. Any idea why the dial hands (not sure what they are called) are blue - is that something significant? And do you know where I maybe able to find an original replacement band? Searched ebay and couldn't find this model anywhere.

coronado

#4 Post by coronado » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:59 am

These watches were sold with a silk grosgrain ribbon with a sewn-on metal buckle. The buckle for your watch was likely 14K white gold, but it may have been platinum.

You can still find grosgrain ribbon (not silk) at most fabric stores and on eBay, but it can be difficult to find the correct width to match the solid wire lugs on the watch case body. Usually have to make do with a ribbon that is a little too narrow.

You would then need a vintage buckle and then sew the ribbon on to the watch and to the buckle and it looks like this:

http://artdecowristwatches.com/page402.htm

You can also use a special fold over leather strap that slips though the wire lugs, is folded over, and then glued.