Identifying ladies' diamond Hamilton models.

Look here for help to identify your Hamilton Watch
error404

Re: Identifying ladies' diamond Hamilton models.

#21 Post by error404 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:00 am

afire wrote:I agree, it's not a Hamilton case. But honestly, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. The value of a watch like this is more as an antique jewelry piece than a collectible watch. If it's solid gold, real diamonds, well made, looks great, then that's where the value lies.
The watch was my first pick of all the watches that i was keeping an eye on ebay. It was present for my wife and she loves it, so I'm okay with mt findings.

deandaniell

#22 Post by deandaniell » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:58 pm

afire wrote:
Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:39 am
A "contract case" is a case made by an unaffiliated jeweler and fitted with a Hamilton movement. Apparently jewelers could make money by buyer either used Hamiltons or new ones in cheaper gold filled cases and recasing them in precious metal cases, usually white gold or platinum, occasionally yellow gold, and usually with diamonds on the case or dial or both.

The reason "contract case" is in quotes is because these were not made under any contract, although sellers sometimes like to suggest this to make the watch seem more legitimate. But not only did Hamilton not contract for these watches to be made, they actively tried to prevent it, admonishing their authorized dealers not to do this or facilitate others doing it.

Consequently, these aren't really collectible as Hamilton watches. But they certainly have a value of their own thanks to the use of expensive materials and often attractive appearance.
I couldn't find my watch either so I am betting it is in a contract case. I don't want to take the back of the watch off because I just picked it up from the jewelers today. It was getting serviced to give to my granddaughter. I do know that it has a serial number listed on the appraisal, 2399776, The case is made of platinum and the calibre #911. It is a 17 jewel. It has 52 round diamonds rating VS-1 and D-G color range. The appraisal says there were no numbers on the inside of the case. So I guess even though the value is high, it is only due to the diamond and metal value. Sigh.... I guess it is more or less just a pretty piece of jewelry. I bought it at a pawn shop for 75.00 40 years ago when I was 17. I have always loved antique jewelry. I was surprised it was worth so much but the quality of the diamonds are nice.
Attachments
getPart-1.jpg
getPart-1.jpg (130.47 KiB) Viewed 1242 times
getPart-2.jpg
getPart-2.jpg (148.01 KiB) Viewed 1242 times

Magpie

#23 Post by Magpie » Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:12 pm

I am betting it is in a contract case.
I agree. One sign is that the outlining on the sides of the dial is slightly curved rather than being in straight lines to go with the shape of the dial opening. Hamilton would have been very careful to have exactly the right dial to go with any case of theirs. But it's such a spectacular piece of diamond jewelry that nobody is likely to notice a detail of that sort when the watch is being worn. I hope your granddaughter loves it -- I would if I were she!

deandaniell

#24 Post by deandaniell » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Maggie, I looked at the curve and BINGO, you are correct. It must be a contract case. Thank you, I love the watch. I hope my granddaughter will too. Even if she doesn't like the watch, she will be happy to have anything that belongs to me. That's the joy with grandchildren. :)

allsports4u2

#25 Post by allsports4u2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:17 pm

I got this in an estate and don't know which Hamilton watch it is, nor it's value. Can someone help me out-let me know for sure the model and also the value? This is what I see.
-Outside back, Hamilton and 14k Gold Filled S & W

-Inside back, Anne, S874017, Hamilton W Co., Lancaster, PA, 14 K Gold Filled

I looked through the catalog and saw an Anne but it was gold, not gold filled.

Thanks in advance!
watch front.jpg
watch front.jpg (704.96 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
watch inside x 2.jpg
watch inside x 2.jpg (699.68 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
watch inside.jpg
watch inside.jpg (668.15 KiB) Viewed 1179 times
[/img]