Post Your Mystery Hamiltons Here.

Look here for help to identify your Hamilton Watch
Hall

Re: Post Your Mystery Hamiltons Here.

#101 Post by Hall » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:28 am

Wow...thank you 1 More !!!! I don't think I would have been able to track this model down......much appreciate your time and effort. The watch is in almost perfect / new shape....it is amazingly accurate for sitting in a dresser drawer for almost 50 years. I don't have any idea of it's current value but I would not sell it at any price as it comes to me through my Grandfather/father and will be passed on to my son when he is old enough to appreciate it !!! It sure has more character than all these new digital watches they have out now !! I just can't believe the quality of this timepiece....even compared to my high -end Seiko....this Hamilton/Illinois has it beat...in form and function both !!! I would wear it everyday but want to keep it as pristine as possible so it only comes out on special occassions .........well...I guess the next quest is to find out as much as I can about the Manufacturer and the engineering background of the movement. Again....thanks to Dave and especially you as well as all the others here who took the time to help me research this watch......now I am thinking about a Ladies model for the wife...................!!! Take care all......Hall.

Dave

#102 Post by Dave » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:23 pm

If you plan to wear this watch, even just for special occasions, you should have it oiled and serviced. Since it has not likely been serviced for many years, the dry oil and dirt will grind down the ends of the pinions and erode the jewels. A great deal of damage can be done in a short time. I even suggest not to wind it anymore until it gets a proper service.

Hall

#103 Post by Hall » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:32 pm

Thank you again Dave....will follow your advice and try to find a competent watchsmith over here.....if I can't I will have to send it back to the States for service....any suggestions??? Thanks again....all you guys have been a great help !!!

GreenesGoods

#104 Post by GreenesGoods » Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:29 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 1719 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.14 MiB) Viewed 1719 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1719 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.54 MiB) Viewed 1719 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1719 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.56 MiB) Viewed 1719 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.52 MiB) Viewed 1719 times
I came across this vintage HAMILTON watch and I understand I should be able to get more information with the serial number...my dilemma is I'm very new to the watch world and have no idea how to take this watch apart and don't want to risk breaking it. So if anyone could help me with identifying the approximate age or how to take it apart further I would be most appreciative.

Details about the watch: It says HAMILTON under the 12 o'clock position. Under the wrist chain (the flat part it says "Kreisler DURO-BRITE USA". On the back side of the watch near the top of the cover, read with a jewelers loop since it is very worn, it is engraved with something illegible, possibly HAMILTON? And "14 KT GOLD FILLED". The watch closed circumference is only 5 5/8". Please see pictures and ask any questions.

Dave

#105 Post by Dave » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:03 pm

GreenesGoods wrote:I came across this vintage HAMILTON watch and I understand I should be able to get more information with the serial number...my dilemma is I'm very new to the watch world and have no idea how to take this watch apart and don't want to risk breaking it. So if anyone could help me with identifying the approximate age or how to take it apart further I would be most appreciative.

Details about the watch: It says HAMILTON under the 12 o'clock position. Under the wrist chain (the flat part it says "Kreisler DURO-BRITE USA". On the back side of the watch near the top of the cover, read with a jewelers loop since it is very worn, it is engraved with something illegible, possibly HAMILTON? And "14 KT GOLD FILLED". The watch closed circumference is only 5 5/8". Please see pictures and ask any questions.
Please have a look through the ladies' catalog page to see if you find it there. http://www.vintagewatchforums.com/viewt ... =41&t=2754

Nookster

#106 Post by Nookster » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:50 am

Looks like an Alcott from 1935
Attachments
Alcott 1936.jpg
Alcott 1936.jpg (35.62 KiB) Viewed 1664 times
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

NickHopton

#107 Post by NickHopton » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:22 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm pretty sure I have a beautiful Newlin from 1958-62 - the movement is a 770 and in great condition, some discoloration (green) on the inside of the gold filled case, nothing unusual. I found the below site that was a great help:

http://www.hamiltonchronicles.com/2013/ ... ewlin.html

The only thing niggling at me is that the dial looks different from the catalogue options - do you think it's been repainted at some point? I'm hoping it's the original patina as I think it looks absolutely stunning, but want to be sure. I've never seen another Hamilton with the same hour markers....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Nick
Attachments
20160815_131907.jpg
20160815_131907.jpg (3.29 MiB) Viewed 1550 times
20160815_132022.jpg
20160815_132022.jpg (3.8 MiB) Viewed 1550 times
Hamilton Thincraft i (1957-)
Rolex Datejust Ref. 1601 (1970)
Bristling, Unknown (late 50s)
Casio Edifice (2016)

Dave

#108 Post by Dave » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:17 am

NickHopton wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm pretty sure I have a beautiful Newlin from 1958-62 - the movement is a 770 and in great condition, some discoloration (green) on the inside of the gold filled case, nothing unusual. I found the below site that was a great help:

The only thing niggling at me is that the dial looks different from the catalogue options - do you think it's been repainted at some point? I'm hoping it's the original patina as I think it looks absolutely stunning, but want to be sure. I've never seen another Hamilton with the same hour markers....

Nick
What you actually have is a Thincraft I.

NickHopton

#109 Post by NickHopton » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:33 pm

Dave wrote:
NickHopton wrote:Hi everyone!

Nick
What you actually have is a Thincraft I.

Dave - thanks so much!! That's great and much appreciated!
Hamilton Thincraft i (1957-)
Rolex Datejust Ref. 1601 (1970)
Bristling, Unknown (late 50s)
Casio Edifice (2016)

tnwareagle89

#110 Post by tnwareagle89 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:52 am

Received this as an anniversary gift - need help identifying it
At first I thought is was a Dateline A-680 - case looks exactly the same; however, dial is totally different
I looked through the 1964-1970 catalogs and couldn't find it

Any thoughts?
Attachments
WRUW_101316_1.JPG
WRUW_101316_1.JPG (129.42 KiB) Viewed 1227 times