Post Your Mystery Hamiltons Here.

Look here for help to identify your Hamilton Watch
vintagehamiltons

Re: Post Your Mystery Hamiltons Here.

#281 Post by vintagehamiltons » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:21 am

lacourrier wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:57 pm
Newbie here!

I have an antique Hamilton watch (working!) that belonged to my grandmother. It is engraved on the back with the date of 1927. It is very small - about 1 1/4" and may be a lapel watch as it only has one lug. Below are the details of what I found inside and out:
Inside:
17 jewels
Inside back cover:
Hamilton Watch Co. Fahy's

I also found many hand written "writings" on the inside of the back cover. They were very small. Below are some (not all) of what I could :make out:
NP 12/75
302 M (in a circle)
F11-1947-0
1-2-76-0
ME 152
ME 156

1927 LADIES HAMILTON WATCH.docx
It's the Tonneau model and was originally a wrist watch with a ribbon band. It was produced early to late 20s. It may have lost a lug at some point or was purposely converted to a lapel watch.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

lacourrier

#282 Post by lacourrier » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:35 pm

Thank you for your response. It does not appear to have lost a lug so it must be a special case. It was a prize for finishing first in a women's trapshooting tournament in 1927 (It's engraved).

I researched the Tonneau models for 1927. I found the dial, know that it is not engraved but I am not sure what metal it is. Is there a way to tell by the serial number or other numbers on the movement if it is 14k white filled gold from 14k solid white gold? The metal/price will determine whether it is going to my heirs or if I am adding it to my retirement fund!

Thank you, once again, for the prompt reply and expertise!

Lucy

vintagehamiltons

#283 Post by vintagehamiltons » Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:22 pm

lacourrier wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:35 pm
Thank you for your response. It does not appear to have lost a lug so it must be a special case. It was a prize for finishing first in a women's trapshooting tournament in 1927 (It's engraved).

I researched the Tonneau models for 1927. I found the dial, know that it is not engraved but I am not sure what metal it is. Is there a way to tell by the serial number or other numbers on the movement if it is 14k white filled gold from 14k solid white gold? The metal/price will determine whether it is going to my heirs or if I am adding it to my retirement fund!

Lucy
The inside of the case back will be marked gold fill or solid gold. If the case is solid gold, the scrap value would be a few hundred $. Many watches have a higher collector value than scrap value. However, ladies models aren't all that collectible since there aren't many lady collectors.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

smithcg13

#284 Post by smithcg13 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:20 am

Found this while cleaning my dads old belongings. It is in rough shape but still curious as to what kind of Hamilton it is. The back case has no marking as they have been rubbed off over time. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

smithcg13

#285 Post by smithcg13 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:56 am

Anyone recognize this? Found it will cleaning my father's old belongings. Lots of wear and tear, but still wondering what model it is?
Thanks

afire

#286 Post by afire » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:20 am

If you're trying to post pictures of the watch, they're not showing up, at least not for me.
Real men wear small watches.

bfwoods

Hamilton 6174A Counterfeit?

#287 Post by bfwoods » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:12 am

I picked this Hamilton (non-working) up at a flea market a few years ago and am wondering its legitimacy, before I make a decision to have it repaired. Hopefully it requires only a new crystal and battery. In any event, as indicated in the images, it has the model number 6174A on the reverse side. I have attempted to locate information on this model, only to find a single entry at ebay (see attachment). Since I am suspicious of ebay information and offerings, I would appreciate any reliable information on this watch. Thanks for any assistance.

BFW Hamilton 1.jpg
BFW Hamilton 1.jpg (495.6 KiB) Viewed 1536 times
BFW Hamilton 2.jpg
BFW Hamilton 2.jpg (568.23 KiB) Viewed 1536 times

Nookster

#288 Post by Nookster » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:45 am

Wilshire. Re-issue model. Newer watch, not vintage.
mark@vintagehamilton.com
VWF owner, moderator and Hamilton Enthusiast

bfwoods

#289 Post by bfwoods » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Thanks for the quick response. And it seems like repairing the watch will be worth the expense. Thanks again!

lacourrier

#290 Post by lacourrier » Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:28 pm

vintagehamiltons wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:22 pm
lacourrier wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:35 pm

Lucy
The inside of the case back will be marked gold fill or solid gold. If the case is solid gold, the scrap value would be a few hundred $. Many watches have a higher collector value than scrap value. However, ladies models aren't all that collectible since there aren't many lady collectors.

Thank you for your time!