Need help...please

Look here for help to identify your Hamilton Watch
Sansoni7

Need help...please

#1 Post by Sansoni7 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:22 pm

Hi
How can we open the case of this Hamilton?

Thank you and congrats for this Forum. :!:
Regards from Portugal. ;)

SFC

Re: Need help...please

#2 Post by SFC » Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:44 am

You check around the back for case knife opening? If not.. split stem and movement comes out the front after removing the crystal.

Sansoni7

#3 Post by Sansoni7 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:29 am

SFC wrote:
Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:44 am
You check around the back for case knife opening? If not.. split stem and movement comes out the front after removing the crystal.
I've tried to pull it out and it does not go out.
The crown does not come out and prevents the mechanism from leaving the front, so I thought that the cap that has the engraved anchor was to leave.
Tks for your help
Regards from Portugal. ;)

pETE201

#4 Post by pETE201 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:33 pm

Given that the dial is significantly larger than the rear opening would be (if it opened that way!), this must surely be a front loader. So the opening technique would be to remove the crystal with a crystal lift aka "The Claw", then rather than forcibly pulling the split stem apart, I would suggest you hold the watch dial down very close to a soft surface and slowly turn the crown (in the running position, not setting position) until, at the point that the slot in the split stem is in the correct orientation, the whole movement will fall out onto the surface. I use this method for my front loading electrics and it avoids damaging the split stem, although you do have to be careful not to bend the hands. In that regard, it's best if you align all of the hands before you start, to minimise the risk of damaging them.