Seiko Pogue Review - Opinions & information on this watch

Vintage Seiko Watch Discussion Forum
karlswa

Seiko Pogue Review - Opinions & information on this watch

#1 Post by karlswa » Sat Oct 15, 2016 4:23 am

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a Seiko Pogue after reading this great review of it - http://thewatchface.com/seiko-pogue-review/

What do you guys think of this watch? I've heard the movement can wear easily if you don't have the chrono running all the time, I'm not sure about that... :(

What do you guys think of this watch? Any information would be hugely appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Ninja01

Re: Seiko Pogue

#2 Post by Ninja01 » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:18 pm

I would suggest you browse through articles & databases at a Seiko "specialty" forum first:

http://seikoholics.yuku.com/forums/69/J ... C9JZ1fhjNE

and also:

http://www.thewatchsite.com/

There are many designs of Seiko cal. 6139 (as used in the "Pogue") and 6138 (adds a long-term accumulator, 12Hr) chronograph calibres. These were, as you may NOT know, in the 1st generation of auto-wind Chronographs!

There are also Flyback chronographs from both Seiko (7015, 7016, 7017, & 7018 calibres) & Citizen (8100, 8110, and 5700) from the '70s which are quite interesting.

Thus, you may find that you come across a design you like even more than the "Pogue"!

The movement of any of these is in NO great danger of "wearing" whether or not the chronograph function is left running. Yes, some watchmakers advise that you should leave the chrono running, but periodically run the watch with the chrono function stopped (to "clean" the brake for the chrono seconds hand). But, in either case, you should not have to worry about anything "catastrophic" happening to the movement ;)

Nice to see you getting interested in these. Now, when you scan the database on the Yuku/Seikoholics site you'll also see that Seiko & Citizen both had nice "affordable" watches for the masses ... but they also produced some really high-quality pieces in late '50s thru mid '70s (and still today) ... and Seiko did VERY well at the Swiss Observatory competitions thru the '60s! Those items are every bit as good as almost all the "better quality" Swiss products of that era. I personally like many of the Grand Seiko, Kings Seiko, Lord Marvel, and many of the better "Seikomatic" designs ... and the Citizen Chronometer models.

Also check out the discussion forum that goes along with the Seikoholics database, there are some good articles there. There is also an older "Seikoholics" site with good articles ... in one of those sites the owner does discuss the chrono "wear" issue you brought up.

Orient also had some quite high-quality items in the '60s (though no chronographs), mainly sold in the Japanese Domestic Market. You can see some of their items in the database I linked to as well. I've collected some of those as well.

stryfox

Re: Seiko Pogue Review - Opinions & information on this watc

#3 Post by stryfox » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:25 pm

Search and read about the Seiko 6139 movement

I don't have a pouge but I do have a few 6139 and 6138 seikos.
I like them very much. It is an automatic fly back chronograph.
It is a quality design but keep in mind much depends on how it was cared for and when it was serviced. Parts are hard to find so I suggest you spend the extra money to buy a nice working example.

Ninja01

Re: Seiko 6138&9 and "Flyback"

#4 Post by Ninja01 » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:11 pm

stryfox wrote:... I do have a few 6139 and 6138 seikos.
I like them very much. It is an automatic fly back chronograph.

I agree with you on the quality level & they are fascinating in terms of visual design.

However, at least the way most Seiko & Citizen collectors use the term "flyback", the 61 movement family are not ... only the Seiko 701x family of movements ... as well as the Citizen chronographs ... are "flyback" type chronographs.

The way "flyback" is used by the Japanese collectors is this:

1. A "regular" chronograph must be stopped before being reset & then restarted to take another reading/timing.

2. A "flyback" allows the user to reset the chrono hands WITHOUT 1st stopping the chrono function. Thus, you can do successive readings/timings with only the push of 1 button (reset button) instead of having to do 3 separate pushes (stop, reset, re-start), which leads to a more accurate timing of successive "events" by doing "instantaneous" restarts of the chrono function.

stryfox

Re: Seiko Pogue Review - Opinions & information on this watc

#5 Post by stryfox » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:21 pm

Thank you for correcting my terminology. That's why I like this place so much.
We can all share information an learn new things.

Ninja01

Re: Flyback

#6 Post by Ninja01 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:29 pm

stryfox wrote:Thank you for correcting my terminology. That's why I like this place so much.
We can all share information an learn new things.
Well, I won't go so far as to say you were "wrong" about the terminology. I have seen (in other contexts than Japanese chronographs) people use the term "flyback" just to mean a reset to zero & there are no objections to that usage. It is possibly an older meaning of the word, but I'm guessing there.

But, I will state it this way ... in the typical Seiko/Citizen specialty forum or FB group or ... the term "flyback" in reference to one of those vintage mechanical chronographs has been generally accepted to mean it the way I explained earlier. So, when you are discussing "flyback" with them, at least you know how that community generally defines the word as applied to the Seiko & Citizen product line. ;)