Vintage Watch Forums

Vintage Collector’s Site for Discussion
Home
Hamilton Watches for Sale
It is currently Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 1970s AKA Bullhead
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:07 pm 

Thought I'd share my 1970s AKA Alba bullhead 1/10 sec chrono. Alba/AKA is a Seiko Corp subsid that was offered for sale only in the Asian & Middle East markets. It's on the original bracelet running a V67 movt. This bullhead came in blue, red and the golden brown dial /bezel combos which this is.

Hope you like it - I love bullheads :D

Post subject: Re: 1970s AKA Bullhead
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 2:45 pm 

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 4:22 pm 

I like it!
A bullhead has been on my list for a while now. I just cand find a good example when it in my budget is good.
Nice watch, that is a good one.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:23 pm 

Thanks! A friend introduced me to the world of bullheads with his late 1960s Omega Seamaster. At the time with it's crown at 12:00 flanked by the chrono pushers along with a second crown at 6:00 (this rotated the internal bezel), it had to be the weirdest watch I had ever seen. Well if you've seen a few of my oddities (my Nikola Tesla for one) then you know it was love at first sight for me :lol:

If it's a bullhead you want and don't want to break the bank, even Seiko's 1970's 6138 cost a pretty penny in good condition, then check out an Alba/AKA.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 3:12 am 

Not being a chrono Gal, I just came across the term "bullhead" only last week — I don't think I had ever seen one before.

Yours also has oval, not circular, sub dials (or whatever they are called :lol: ): cool!

Post subject: Re: Bullheads - Seiko AND Citizen
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 3:57 pm 

1. My 1st sighting of Bullhead style was on a Breitling [Pupitre model], it wasn't for another couple years that I saw the Seiko 6138 "Bullhead" style ... in Brown color scheme it is called "Cha Uma" [Brown Horse] and in the Black color scheme it is the "Kuro Uma" [Black Horse] by the Japanese.

2. About the same time, I learned of the Citizen cal. 8110 Fly-back chronograph movement and it also had a few Bullhead (or "Easter Rabbit") case styles. In some ways, the Citizen is superior to the Seiko 6139 & 6138 as it also has the Fly-back functionality (like the Seiko 701x family of Fly-back chronograph). The 8100 (up to 30 Minute accumulators, like Seiko 6139 & 7018) & 8110 (up to 12 Hrs like Seiko 6138 & 7016) are both 23 jewels & run at higher beat-rates than the equivalent Seiko calibres. The main "complaint" about the Citizen Bullheads (and some other models) vs. Seiko tends to be the casing, not the movement. Some collectors/wearers think the Citizens are "too small" (they do tend to be more compact than the "big iron" 6138s from Seiko. In addition, certain case-styles of the Citizen don't seem to hold up as well as the typical Seiko chronograph (more delicate details of outer bezels & inserts tend to wear more easily than most Seiko designs) & some of the case styles are plated material (and of course, plating wears faster than all Steel cases).

More info about these at Sweephand's site:
http://sweep-hand.org/

However, especially if you don't care about having a giant hunk of iron on your wrist, the upside is that you get a great movement & usually can get the Citizen chronographs at lower price than the equivalent Seiko models. However, this may be changing...

3. And yes, the accumulators do reside in "sub-dials" 8-)