Home
Hamilton Watches for Sale
It is currently Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Significant Japanese: Other than Seiko
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:43 pm 

delineator wrote:
Hi Ninja et al,
I've taken great interest and appreciation to the historical information you have shared about the Orient brand.
Recently, I have been very interested in the King Diver and was able to acquire a "second generation" AAA Weekly Orient King Diver from an auction site in Japan. Based on some outline lineage information I stumbled into in another forum, what I have with me is something that may have been produced between 1965-1968. ... Of course, I'm here looking for more information about this particular watch ... Thanks!

Hi! I appreciate your comments about the info I've put out ...

Now, about yours, I have to say I've not really studied the diver styles of Orient. Only thing I have for you is what is in Sweephand's Orient Movement Table. He mainly concentrates on Citizen, but did put together a table for Orient as well.

The only thing I see in his table matching yours is an entry for a Cal. 1970 "AAA Weekly Auto King Diver". According to his info,

Production started in 1964, but he shows no end date.

It is an 18,000bph Auto-wind with 30 jewels & Day+Date calendar (as your dial shows).

Movement dimensions are 27.60mm (diameter) x 6.25mm (height).

The watch sold originally for JPY 13,000 (he doesn't say in which year that price is for). That puts it @ upper-middle of the price spectrum for things of the same time-frame. For example, a Swimmer with cal. 1940 (21j) is priced @ JPY 8,000, while a Grand-Prix 100 (the 1964 100 jeweled automatic I've shown earlier) was priced from JPY 16,000 to 19,500. The Fineness Auto (35j) of 1966 was priced from JPY 18,300 to 22,300. The G.P. 100 and the Fineness would be examples of Orients highest-end automatics of mid '60s.

Hope that little bit helps!

Post subject: Re: Significant Japanese: Other than Seiko
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 6:59 pm 

Hi Ninja,
Thank you for filling-in additional info to the patchwork history of this model. I also have found your Orient series on seikoholics. Don, from timekeeper forum, has also posted an abbreviated explanation to the various King Divers produced by Orient since the 1960s.
I'd like to share what the first generation "King Diver" looks like. To me, it's a beautiful piece; this phot is borrowed from tokeibakai.exblog.jp. Cheers!

Attachments:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 314.45 KiB | Viewed 515 times ]

Post subject: Re: Orient King Diver 1st Gen
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2016 9:40 pm 

delineator wrote:
Hi Ninja,
Thank you for filling-in additional info to the patchwork history of this model...
I'd like to share what the first generation "King Diver" looks like. To me, it's a beautiful piece... Cheers!

You're welcome, though I really couldn't add much...

Interesting about these "1st Gen" Kings ... I am assuming the "25" on the dial is a jewel count ??

If so, it could be what Sweephand had listed in his movement table as a cal. 1960 which was first produced in 1964, came in 25j and was automatic; but he does not have it listed with a King Diver variant, just as a "Swimmer" style of an "AAA Weekly Auto".

However, he does say right up front on the movement table, that he has not listed ALL movements/variants (likely because a particular variant was not listed in his reference materials). So... it could even be a movement calibre other than 1960 and maybe even a calibre he does not have listed in the table (vs. an unlisted variant of a calibre that is in the table) ... but certainly nothing earlier than the 1961 1st Generation Automatic by Orient (that was based on a hand-wind Royal movement). I may have shown mine earlier in this thread.