Most Significant Seiko ????

Vintage Seiko Watch Discussion Forum
Ninja01

Most Significant Seiko ????

#1 Post by Ninja01 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:29 pm

OK, it got asked on another forum ... that I'm NOT a member of ...

What (in your opinion) is the most historically significant Seiko???

we got a link to go to to get some ideas as well!!

http://www.seikowatches.com/heritage/worlds_first.html

but as this is a VINTAGE forum where many watches talked about are 70 or 100 years old, that link is a little too "junior" to be truly representative of the entire "Seiko" [Hattori Corp.] historical picture.

I'll add one of mine:

Seiko Marvel intro'd in 1956. Why the Marvel??

Views of Marvel representatives:
http://seikoholics.yuku.com/sreply/188/ ... #.VJTsKcEY

Some info on WHY Marvel is significant to me:
http://seikoholics.yuku.com/topic/821/S ... #.VJTsecEY

See the second post in that thread @

"Other criteria:
I. Competition results and other historical record:"

Example:

'Marvel was also put to the test within Japan: "In 1957, it was also the first Japanese watch to win the men's wristwatch division of a
contest held by the Japan branch of the American Horological Society, surpassing non-Japanese models such as the Omega. The Marvel lived up to its name and helped earn Japanese timepieces a reputation for excellence that resounded all over the world, even as far as Switzerland.'

So - your turn!!

Ninja01

Re: Most Significant... Hints needed??

#2 Post by Ninja01 » Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:34 pm

OK then, here's some hints:

Astronomical

Grand

Astron

.... there's more, but I don't want to spoil your party :P

OK, there's Yahoo & Google to go with on those :lol: Go for it!! :D

Clyde

Re: Most Significant Seiko ????

#3 Post by Clyde » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:55 pm

Well, not to be too much of a wise acre, but for me, the most historically significant Seiko is the one my dad wore in Vietnam.
It's a '68 Sportsmatic. Still runs great, and Iove the weathered "tropical" dial. :D

Ninja01

#4 Post by Ninja01 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:13 pm

Clyde wrote:Well, not to be too much of a wise acre, but for me, the most historically significant Seiko is the one my dad wore in Vietnam.
It's a '68 Sportsmatic...]
Well, I'm not going to criticize or kid you... because "History" can indeed be very personal.

The Vietnam War was a big deal for me too!! I was actively trying to NOT go there!! :lol:

Hmmm, however ... I've ended up in one of it's neighbors (roughly speaking) ... the Philippines. Coincidentally, my Dad was here in "the big one" ... WWII!! Of course, this was also a big "staging area" for Vietnam with our (USA) big bases here in those days...

OK, thanks for playing :P Your prize is .... hmmm??? A pat on the back for the holidays ;)

Ninja01

ZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!!

#5 Post by Ninja01 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:01 pm

What, no other ideas?? :?

OR ... is this NOT the type of post that folks here like to discuss :?: {NOT being sarcastic here, just want to know so I can do other kinds of things in future ... that may actually generate more interest for/with you all} :?:

Squash61

#6 Post by Squash61 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:32 pm

Funny, I just bought a 1968 Sportsmatic on eBay. It doesn't run, but I wanted it for the signed bracelet for another Seiko. I have 5 or so Seikos and really like the quality.
I'll post some pics of some of my other Seikos when I get a chance.

Ninja01

Thanks squash61!! + Quality issues:

#7 Post by Ninja01 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:29 pm

Seiko (and other Japanese brand) vintage mechanical quality does impress me too! Aside from the "well-known" hi-end among Japanese collectors, other marques impress as well ... go below the highest quality tiers in Seiko [various Grand Seiko & King Seiko] and you find amazing quality at sometimes quite reasonable prices in the used market ... think of the Presmatic models I've bought in the last couple years!! About US$100 in some cases for something that should easily qualify for Chronometer certification!!

Citizen, Orient, and even Ricoh had some amazing pieces in the '60s and '70s. Will show you all some of them someday, but that's for another thread!!

In the meantime, anyone else want to try their hand at naming a "Most Significant Seiko" :?:

leibo

#8 Post by leibo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:26 am

How about the Arnie?? Or is it too new?

Ninja01

Re: Too New ????

#9 Post by Ninja01 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:21 pm

leibo wrote:How about the Arnie?? Or is it too new?
Well, the way I'm interpreting this question, age of the watch model doesn't matter ... new, vintage, they're both OK. What matters is that you come up with a reason for saying "significant" ... what is your reason for naming this model?? I'm more interested in the "thinking" behind the choice than the age/era of the choice...

leibo

#10 Post by leibo » Fri Jan 02, 2015 6:28 pm

The Arnie was a watch that my brother bought back in the 80s, and I always admired it. I think it became more popular after Schwarzenegger wore it in his movies. I liked it because of it's rugged appearance, analog / digital display, and large size (it was definitely ahead of it's time on size). Fast forward quite a few years, and it seems to have a bit of a cult following. I have to admit, I'm not well versed in Seikos, but it's one that I always admired. I even talked my brother into parting with it.