Seiko 4R35B

Vintage Seiko Watch Discussion Forum
NWI Mark

Seiko 4R35B

#1 Post by NWI Mark » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:28 am

This new Seiko runs the 4R35B 23 jewel mvmt, and hand winds & hack sets. Any Seiko guys think it's a good movement? Ninja perhaps?
Attachments
IMG_2417.JPG
IMG_2417.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 3917 times
IMG_2417.JPG
IMG_2417.JPG (1.86 MiB) Viewed 3917 times
IMG_2415.JPG
IMG_2415.JPG (2.09 MiB) Viewed 3917 times

Ninja01

Re: Seiko 4R35B

#2 Post by Ninja01 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Well, I don't have any "hands on" experience with the latest generation (or so) of Seiko movement, so can't help you in that sense.

Is is "good"? Well, what specifically do you consider "good enough" or what are you comparing it to? That would greatly affect the verdict ;) Of course, "quality" is often relative to price ... so likely it is a "good" movement for it's price (or the price of the models in which it is used, anyway). If you are expecting it to be something that is chronometer grade ... well, no it likely won't satisfy. If you are comparing it to a 7S36 or 7S26, well I'd say it's better having the hack & hand-wind that some of those older calibres didn't have.

From the pics I've seen of it, well: it does not have a fine-adjuster on the balance, so don't try comparing it's running performance against a "chronometer grade" movement [though some Seiko buyers do cite anecdotal evidence of certain individual specimens of similar grade Seiko movements having amazingly good "out of the box" performance]. If you are looking for finely crafted & decorated movement plates ... no, it won't satisfy. But then again, companies like Seiko [Hattori Corp.] and Girard-Perregaux [at least vintage, '50s, '60s, '70s] have often been described as having quite competent, but not well decorated/finished, movements. They tended to make rather plain looking movements, but (at least in the higher end of the product line), very well performing in terms of accuracy & durability.

Not sure if these links will help you:

http://www.ablogtowatch.com/ask-watch-e ... movements/

https://www.watch-wiki.net/index.php?title=Seiko_4R35

NWI Mark

#3 Post by NWI Mark » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:16 am

Thanks Ninja01. This watch keeps real good time, & I bought it new in the box on St. Maarten for 200.00. I was just curious. I don't care that much on the modern watches whether or not the movement is highly ornamented or damaskeened as long as it keeps time; and this one does that- although you never know that when you first get it!
Thanks for the web sites.

timexaicain

#4 Post by timexaicain » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:42 am

NWI Mark wrote:Thanks Ninja01. This watch keeps real good time, & I bought it new in the box on St. Maarten for 200.00. I was just curious. I don't care that much on the modern watches whether or not the movement is highly ornamented or damaskeened as long as it keeps time; and this one does that- although you never know that when you first get it!
Thanks for the web sites.

Really nice one . however, is it 200 Euros or $200 ? . Like you, I don't care about the ornamentation provided the movement holds the time correctly. Having a lot of ornamentation on a movement and if it does not hold the time, we would not be more advanced in terms of precision watchmaking.