Seiko Classic Diver

Vintage Seiko Watch Discussion Forum
SFC

Seiko Classic Diver

#1 Post by SFC » Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:35 pm

There has been little to no Seiko action here at VWF ever since Ninja disappeared.. I thought I would post a nice example of their classic 6105 diver

There are two interesting features that make this example standout from the rest...

1st
The watch was found with the bezel insert installed quite poorly (I believe this is how the watch left the factory)
Notice that the triangle falls in-between minute track hash marks...
This is a bi-directional bezel with 60 clicks (one per minute)... as you rotate the bezel it will never line up with the dial.
Its not a problem with the bezel. You just have to pop the insert out and install properly so that it is in alignment with the dial.
I always enjoy finding quality control issues on vintage divers

2nd
The bezel between the 30-35 minute mark has been heavily bashed over and over again. The rest of the bezel is near perfect and the finish on the case is nice and original
It is quite strange for a watch this nice to have heavy damage concentrated solely in one location.
The scratches on the original crystal are are obviously correlated with the damage to the bezel (emanating from the bashing near the 30-35min mark)
I wonder how this watch was worn? How did this concentrated damage occur on an otherwise superb example? Maybe the guy had a desk job and wore the watch on the underside of his wrist?

It really is a cool robust timepiece

Attached are the pics.. a quick overhaul, nos crystal, and onto a genuine vintage Seiko waffle strap

watchdoc#1

Re: Seiko Classic Diver

#2 Post by watchdoc#1 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:26 pm

Very nice!! I've got a 6106 that's going through a restro project soon... :mrgreen:
I used to be known as "watchdoc" now I'm watchdoc#1. Check me out under the members list. :roll:

SFC

Re: Seiko Classic Diver

#3 Post by SFC » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:30 pm

Nice! Seiko is the place to start if you are into the stainless watch with screwback case. Lots of variety, affordable parts, and easily serviceable. Can't beat that!