"The Best of Seiko" - ca. mid 1960s

Vintage Seiko Watch Discussion Forum
Ninja01

"The Best of Seiko" - ca. mid 1960s

#1 Post by Ninja01 » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:22 pm

Got a little time today, so ... thought I'd show some of my mid 1960s 'hi-end' of Seiko ... and that, of course, means the Grand Seiko line, some of which are marked "Chronometer" [though not COSC certified, that is a label the Japanese used in defiance of the Swiss who claimed ownership of the term :o ]

So, to start off: a 2nd Generation hand-wind. They started as the Model 43999, with a hand-wind calibre 430 having Date calendar and 35 jewels. Later, Seiko reorganized it's numbering system and the movement became the 5722A and the casing then reflected this new numbering scheme, having 5722-9990.

You'll note the Lion emblem on the case-back. What this really means is "Chronometer grade watch" - it was NOT applied only to Grand Seikos in that era. There is also, for example, a Liner Chronometer also with that same Lion logo.

Well, mine is obviously the "newer format" 2nd Generation GS, right??? Well, not so fast, since this is what is inside:

That's right! It's the "old format" calibre numbering on that movement!! Now, architecturally, the cal. 430 IS the 5722A - just "the names have been changed to protect the innocent" ;)

So, mine is somewhat of a hybrid - but not sure WHO did it. Was it a watchmaker who had an old 430 hanging around when the owner developed serious trouble with his 5722A (and did a swap)? Was it authorized Seiko service themselves? Or, did it even come that way out of the factory??? Did Seiko [ahem, Hattori Corp.] have a few extra cal. 430s after the "new" 5722 cases came out & all the old "43999" cases were used??? Not sure!!

Anyway ... here's a 'face shot':

Oh dear! A little "wabi" on this watch ... but I did get it for a really great price (for the times) & it has a quite 'presentable' early-type 2nd Generation movement!

Now, my 'pride and joy' among my Seiko hi-end ... a 6246 Seikomatic Chronometer. This means it's an early type of the 1st Generation of automatic-wind "Grand Seiko":

Later models switched to "GS" badging due to the fight with the Swiss over the use of the "Chronometer" term.

Still has that Lion on the back ...

And inside a beautiful cal. 6246 39j automatic:

Now, do you see a difference on the balance between the 430 & this 6246??

Well, it's the fine-adjuster type!! The 430 or 5722A has the older type 'tadpole' fine-adjuster while the 6246 [and also the 5722B that replaced the 430 / 5722A] has the newer type "cog wheel" type {or as I call it, the 'rack and pinion' style}. IT is said by 1 Japanese writer that the "cog wheel" style allowed much greater accuracy in regulation. Sounds reasonable as it was introduced at about the same time Seiko/Hattori was in the process of tightening their accuracy grades!

There was also a date-only variant - the 35j 6245 ... but I don't have one :cry:

Now, the 6246 has a 'baby brother'!! It was a "Seikomatic" and it had the calibre "6216" - also 39j. Also with the cog wheel adjuster ... in fact, it had EVERYTHING the 6246 did, except the "Chronometer" or "GS" badging!! It was architecturally identical to the 6246!!

Here's mine [and I've seen fewer of these around than even the 6246s, which are in turn less common than the hand-wind GS (430 & 5722) of their day]:

1st, note the different case-back badging ...

2nd, check out that movement ... compare all the details against the 6246:

and now, the dial shot:

Quite 'toned' like an old silver dollar ... but it doesn't look bad in person.

Ninja01

Relatives of the 6246 [39j automatics]

#2 Post by Ninja01 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:03 pm

Check out the following links if you want some more!

1. 39j automatics from Girard-Perregaux [G-P]:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=3322

Other links here deleted due to dispute with owner of that site/database.

sapote

Re: "The Best of Seiko" - ca. mid 1960s

#3 Post by sapote » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:49 pm

Interesting Grand Seiko with a beautiful 430 cal movement. However, the engraved 'F' and 'S' next to the balance wheel speed adjuster was wrongly done as S should be F and vise versa. Why wrong? If the tadpole tail is moved to F then the watch would run slower.