Vintage Watch Forums

Vintage Collector’s Site for Discussion
Home
Hamilton Watches for Sale
It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Information on Orient Grand Prix Swimmer 21 Jewels
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:42 am 

I have been left this watch and despite hours of searching I have been unable to find it online to know more about it. It doesn't help that I cannot read the back unless held to light at an angle and even then I can only read that it is a Grand prix orient swimmer - waterproof unbreakable mainspring antishock all stainless steel - and then what I think says 21 Jewels.

I'd be delighted to hear if anyone knows anything about this watch?

Attachments:
IMG_8247.JPG
IMG_8247.JPG [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 211 times ]
File comment: Orient Grand Prix Swimmer
IMG_8247.JPG
IMG_8247.JPG [ 1.61 MiB | Viewed 211 times ]

Post subject: Re: Information on Orient Grand Prix Swimmer 21 Jewels
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:56 pm 

Hi!

Well, I can help you find info on that line of vintage Orients, but I probably can't point you to the exact case style ;)

First, I'll give you a link to a database I constructed several years ago, that has a vintage Orient section:

http://seikoholics.yuku.com/forums/69/Japanese-Watch-Info-Database/Japanese-Watch-Info-Database#.VC9JZ1fhjNE

Just scan down until you find the Orient section of the database & you'll see within it, 2 separate sections for "Grand Prix" ... one was a hand-wind "line" and the other was automatic. The automatics are based on the hand-wind movement.

Now, just by way of introduction, "Grand Prix" was Orients best quality line in the early -> mid 1960s. It replaced the Royal as the "top of the line" movement in the early '60s.

The "Swimmer" designation indicated a more water-proof case than the "regular" (dress watch style) Grand Prix.

The hand-wind Grand Prix came in several jewel count variants and also there were non-calendar and Date variants. I have a hand-wind 25j Grand Prix Calendar (has Date display) in my collection & it appears to be a quite high-quality piece for it's day... though not as high as the top-of-the-line Seiko model of it's day (Grand Seiko with either calibre 3180 or 430 hand-wind movements) ... probably more like a Seiko Cronos Special or Crown Special & maybe just slightly below a King Seiko (1st Generation hand-wind or calibre 44A) of the same period. Again, for details of those, look through my database.

That database is a companion to a Japanese watch discussion forum. It would pay to look through articles/posts in that forum as well (various sections) as I'm sure I (and others) wrote about the various vintage Orients there.

Now, I also have a Grand Prix automatic ... probably Orient's best quality automatic ever (? well, at least thru '60s & '70s) though a couple other vintage models come close or match it as well. Mine is a 100 jewel "Grand Prix 100 Triostat" introduced in 1964 supposedly as a Tokyo Olympics model. What makes it high quality is not the 100 jewels, but the Triostat fine-adjuster for the balance and the auto-wind system which is an IWC Pellaton design! You can find that watch on the database/discussion-forum I've pointed you to. That will help you understand more about the Grand Prix and other related models to yours.

======
Almost forgot:

I should point out that the Grand Prix (hand-wind) line used 2 different movement designs over it's life-time. I wrote this up at the site I pointed you to:

http://seikoholics.yuku.com/topic/962/ORIENT-Grand-Prix-Handwind-2-types

Also check out some of the other articles I pointed to in the Orient section of the "Auxilliary Database" thread I constructed:

http://seikoholics.yuku.com/sreply/5398/ORIENT-Brand#.WCO4APQuM0k

Post subject: Re: Information on Orient Grand Prix Swimmer 21 Jewels
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:38 am 

Wow, you couldn't have been more helpful. I am incredibly grateful for your response and very much look forward to looking at your link this evening. Thank you - much much appreciated:-)