Investment

Beginners Vintage Watch Discussion Forum Where You Can Get Expert Help
AndyH

Investment

#1 Post by AndyH » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:34 am

Hi everyone.
I have always had an interest in watches, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what to look out for as a future investment (on a budget!).

Is it worth buying restoration pieces off eBay, getting them working again and selling on?
I have my eye on a Pierce WW2 watch currently on eBay, it is within my budget, but needs a bit of work to bring it back up to full working order. Is this something worth considering?

Obviously the "big names" are out of my range, so any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

vintagehamiltons

Re: Investment

#2 Post by vintagehamiltons » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:42 am

It's doable, but you need to know which models will sell for enough to turn a profit after they've been restored. Some (many) models just aren't worth the effort required because the value just isn't there.

I've found that the most important aspect is that gold filled cases need to be in very good condition with minimal plate wear. Everything else about a watch is fixable, i.e. poor dials can be refinished, hands/crystals/crowns/bands can be replaced, and the movements can be serviced/repaired. Even then you can't guarantee a profit. It's better if you can do the movements yourself.

When selling, the best photos almost always yield the best selling prices.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad