Advice needed on some handed down watches

Beginners Vintage Watch Discussion Forum Where You Can Get Expert Help
Jaffa

Advice needed on some handed down watches

#1 Post by Jaffa » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:11 pm

Hi, I am new to this forum and admit to knowing nothing about watches. I have a selection of vintage watches that have come to me from my fathers estate. I would like to understand how old they are and whether they hold any real value so would appreciate if those on this forum who have the expertise are able to assist.

#1 This is a silver pocket watch, well worn, has no glass and face & hands damaged. Marked Stewart Dawson & Co Liverpool. This belonged to my grandfather, im guessing late 1800's era. Chain is marked "Mexican Silver DH&Co"

#2 This is a Roamer Brevete, 17 Jewel, case is marked "Gold Filled 12G". Watch is in working condition but glass is damaged/scratched.

#3 This is a Valory Geneve, marked 17 Jewel, Incabloc, It has a black dial, case is a bit damaged & is marked "Plaque 20". It also is in working condition

#4 This watch is marked Stewart Dawson. It is quote worn and does not work

#5 is by Viceroy and is marked 17 Jewel, WaterResistant, Antimagnetic, Incabloc. It has an inscription on the back dating it as a xmas gift Dec 1953. Casing is marked "Plaque G20"

My favourite is the Roamer and this watch i am considering having cleaned & new glass fitted if possible but not sure if it would be worth the expense as do not want to spend a lot on a worthless watch but I personally think this watch would come up nice with new glass, a polish and a nice leather strap

I am really just wanting to know a bit about each of these watches like when they were made, are they junk or worth keeping. I am attaching some pics which may help. Hopefully someone here knows a bit about these watches.

Thanks & Regards
Attachments
IMG_2638.JPG
Pocket Watch
IMG_2638.JPG (553.92 KiB) Viewed 852 times
IMG_2639.JPG
Pocket Watch dial
IMG_2639.JPG (583.98 KiB) Viewed 852 times
IMG_2640.JPG
Pocket Watch hallmarks
IMG_2640.JPG (767.38 KiB) Viewed 852 times
IMG_2653.JPG
Valory front
IMG_2653.JPG (463.34 KiB) Viewed 852 times
IMG_2654.JPG
Valory back
IMG_2654.JPG (538.81 KiB) Viewed 852 times
IMG_2655.JPG
Stewart Dawson front
IMG_2655.JPG (410.28 KiB) Viewed 852 times
IMG_2656.JPG
Stewart Dawson back
IMG_2656.JPG (488.6 KiB) Viewed 852 times
IMG_2657.JPG
Roamer front
IMG_2657.JPG (602.93 KiB) Viewed 852 times
IMG_2658.JPG
Roamer back
IMG_2658.JPG (622.78 KiB) Viewed 852 times
IMG_2659.JPG
Viceroy front
IMG_2659.JPG (443.67 KiB) Viewed 852 times
IMG_2660.JPG
Viceroy back
IMG_2660.JPG (513.36 KiB) Viewed 852 times

diveboy

Re: Advice needed on some handed down watches

#2 Post by diveboy » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:06 pm

Hi,

Stewart Dawson & co pocket watch, the case hallmarks dates it to 1885, Birmingham. Stewart Dawson & co originally had a shop in liverpool but when he migrated to Australia, he setup a chain of jewelers across Australia & New Zealand, New Zealand is still operating today (https://www.stewartdawsons.co.nz/). Its most likely a swiss movement but need to have a image to confirm.

Michael.
Disruptive Elgin Collector.... 39.56043956043956
http://www.elgin.watch - Elgin Model Database
instagram @elgindownunder

Jaffa

#3 Post by Jaffa » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:48 pm

diveboy wrote:Hi,

Stewart Dawson & co pocket watch, the case hallmarks dates it to 1885, Birmingham. Stewart Dawson & co originally had a shop in liverpool but when he migrated to Australia, he setup a chain of jewelers across Australia & New Zealand, New Zealand is still operating today (https://www.stewartdawsons.co.nz/). Its most likely a swiss movement but need to have a image to confirm.

Michael.

Thanks for the info Michael. Do you think this watch has any value to make it worth having repaired or is it best left as is as.

Also how do you access the movement. I cannot see any obvious way to open it and don't want to damage it. The rear case opens so you can access the winde key hole but I cannot see how the inner cover comes off. Would it be a press fit or screwed in?

Regards
Phill

Jaffa

#4 Post by Jaffa » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:12 pm

Jaffa wrote:
diveboy wrote:Hi,

Michael.

Thanks for the info Michael. Do you think this watch has any value to make it worth having repaired or is it best left as is as.

Also how do you access the movement. I cannot see any obvious way to open it and don't want to damage it. The rear case opens so you can access the winde key hole but I cannot see how the inner cover comes off. Would it be a press fit or screwed in?

Regards
Phill

Ok I have found out how to open the movement from the front. Pardon my ignorance for thinking it should have been from the back. Pic of the movement attached. When I look closely at the pic I some of the screws look damaged. Maybe its been apart before by someone not so careful. anyway any advice on the movement appreciated. Im beginning to think this is best suited as a paperweight than a watch.
Attachments
IMG_2662.JPG
Movement pic
IMG_2662.JPG (670.33 KiB) Viewed 800 times

diveboy

#5 Post by diveboy » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:48 am

Phil, sorry for the delay.

hmm... if you were to drop it in to a shop, its gonna give you bill shock big time, I'll be honest on that front. Its not a rare/valuable watch by any collectors measure and the sell between $20-$150 so any money in repairing it, is lost money but its your grandfathers watch so that might be justified on your behalf.

You could ease the cost by buying watches to harvest (dial, new hands, etc and you would need to get a key to wind and set it). it might take a few years but it would keep it cheapish and then get an experienced watch maker to put it back together. By looking at the movement, its been apart several times, the pins that hold the dial on the dial feet have been removed several times (you can see it from the scratches from removing the pin). from my little experience, its been dropped and landed at around 6 which is what has caused the dial to shatter in the manor it has, which might explain the pin scratches (taking it to different shops to get repair prices).

What are you thinking of doing with it ?
Disruptive Elgin Collector.... 39.56043956043956
http://www.elgin.watch - Elgin Model Database
instagram @elgindownunder