Olma Chronograph Advice

Beginners Vintage Watch Discussion Forum Where You Can Get Expert Help
afire

Re: Olma Chronograph Advice

#11 Post by afire » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:32 am

The thing is, I can't find any evidence anywhere that any Olma chronograph should be valued at over $1000. And I spent a bit of time looking.

But yes, it's certainly possible that there's something special about this particular watch that warrants such a price. But that would be on the seller to establish. I don't know why anybody would just assume that a given watch might be worth three or so times what seemingly comparable examples sell for. Especially for a brand that doesn't have a following.

I don't think much more can be said in the abstract beyond that vintage Olma chronographs in working passable condition seem to bring about $200 on eBay. And with what you've shared, I can't think of any reason why you would pay more than the apparent going rate plus however much value you put on the condition and convenience of not having to have any further work done on it. If you want to post pictures or a link, maybe more could be said.

And the bottom line is, if you have $1000+ burning a hole in your pocket and you like the watch, then go for it. But if you ever want to get your money (or even half of it) back out of it, then you'll probably have to make a good case of what's so special about this particular watch, which may not be possible.
Real men wear small watches.

Tags:

manual_vibe

#12 Post by manual_vibe » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:36 am

Thanks very much - all good and valid points and I genuinely do appreciate the help. I'm going to pass on the watch (I do not have $1000 burning a hole) and keep my eye out for other vintage Chronographs. If anyone has a suggestion of a particular watchmaker I should look out for - I'm all ears.

Thanks again

vintagehamiltons

#13 Post by vintagehamiltons » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:26 am

Here's a nice one I'd be willing to sell you and there are a number of sold listings on ebay. Tissot Navigator chronograph. If I recall correctly, it shares it's movement with Omegas from the same period (1970s). It's a nice size at 38mm and is a good timekeeper.
Tissot Navigator4.JPG
Tissot Navigator4.JPG (248.1 KiB) Viewed 476 times
IMG_6522_zpsot2k44yg.JPG
IMG_6522_zpsot2k44yg.JPG (479.72 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Tissot005-dial.JPG
Tissot005-dial.JPG (502.63 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

afire

#14 Post by afire » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:51 am

If you want to make a safe purchase, it's probably not a bad idea to stick with better known brands. And if the budget is north of $1000, that should give you plenty of options. I just did an eBay search for "vintage chronograph" limited to buy-it-nows priced between $500 and $1250, and got 668 results. And if you're unsure, post a link or pictures here and you'll get more and better advice.

Or just buy that Tissot from vintagehamiltons. He knows a good watch and how to price it.
Real men wear small watches.

manual_vibe

#15 Post by manual_vibe » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:13 am

vintagehamiltons wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:26 am
Here's a nice one I'd be willing to sell you and there are a number of sold listings on ebay. Tissot Navigator chronograph. If I recall correctly, it shares it's movement with Omegas from the same period (1970s). It's a nice size at 38mm and is a good timekeeper.
Looks to be a lovely watch but not quite what I'm looking for thanks