Olma Chronograph Advice

Beginners Vintage Watch Discussion Forum Where You Can Get Expert Help
manual_vibe

Olma Chronograph Advice

#1 Post by manual_vibe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:26 am

Hi - Im considering the purchase of an Olma Chronograph from the 1950s. Knowing very little about this watchmaker and their value, would it be insane to spend over $1,000 for such a timepiece? Would this tally with market value for such a watch?

It's been fully serviced and is in excellent condition, running well with all original parts.

Any advice you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Tags:

afire

Re: Olma Chronograph Advice

#2 Post by afire » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:50 am

Where is it being sold? There are some places that should just be avoided. Any pictures? What's the case material?

IMO, the best guidance for pricing can be found searching SOLD listings on eBay (not completed listings, and take those indicating a best offer with a big grain of salt, since eBay doesn't show the actual offer amount).

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 5573.m1684

So, I would say yes, you would have to be insane to pay over $1000 for an Olma chronograph, since they apparently aren't that hard to find and don't seem to bring much over $200 in working condition, sometimes less. And servicing a working chronograph to get it into top running shape shouldn't cost more than $200 at the most. So, I would think $300-$400 would be about the right price for a serviced Olma chronograph.

Unless there's something very special about this particular example, keep looking.
Real men wear small watches.

manual_vibe

#3 Post by manual_vibe » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:37 pm

Thanks very much for the response. The watch is being sold online. The case is stainless steel. I can't seem to add a photo here for some reason but here's a link to a jpg: https://www.dropbox.com/s/cydqwj83wg1gw ... h.jpg?dl=0

I've done some further searching at other online dealer sites and I'm now seeing prices in excess of $1,000 for similar models in a similar condition. At the same time I do take your point about the eBay auctions so am still just as flummoxed.

vintagehamiltons

#4 Post by vintagehamiltons » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:30 am

Most online watch dealer prices are usually at least double the actual value of the watch.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

manual_vibe

#5 Post by manual_vibe » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:58 am

That's a fair point but do you have any specific experience of Olma Chronographs and if so what do you believe their market value to be? Thanks

vintagehamiltons

#6 Post by vintagehamiltons » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:39 am

I have no experience with the brand and have never heard of it to be honest. But, as mentioned in the previous post above, the best gauge is real world sold prices and ebay is the best source of what people are willing to pay. So, cost of the watch plus service is the value.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

manual_vibe

#7 Post by manual_vibe » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:32 am

Thanks. The first responder was kind enough to offer a link to sold on eBay but I've also seen them go for much higher than those prices hence my trying to reach out to anyone that has experience of the brand as what I can find is somewhat inconclusive. Appreciate all responses however.

afire

#8 Post by afire » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:33 pm

manual_vibe wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:32 am
Thanks. The first responder was kind enough to offer a link to sold on eBay but I've also seen them go for much higher than those prices...
But have you really? Or have you just seen people/dealers asking for more? More to the point, if you know that they can be had on eBay for $200 or less, why does it matter that somebody may or may not have gotten more, whatever the reason? Some sucker vastly overpaying for a watch readily available for much less doesn't make it worth more. It just means that said sucker got taken.
Real men wear small watches.

manual_vibe

#9 Post by manual_vibe » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:17 am

I suppose it's a case of not knowing if we're comparing like for like. The watches I've seen on eBay are not the same models and are in relatively poor condition. I don't just mean watches that require a service but watches that would clearly require a complete restoration in order to come close to the condition of the other watches I've seen for significantly higher prices.

vintagehamiltons

#10 Post by vintagehamiltons » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:48 am

Comparing condition is important and always a consideration when making a potential purchase. When using ebay sold listings, you have to compare the same model in similar condition that you're considering buying. Also, you have to determine if the model you're looking at is plentiful or scarce. I've overpaid, and I'm sure other collectors have as well, when I might not see a particular model available for a long time.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad