Pikap watch,

Beginners Vintage Watch Discussion Forum Where You Can Get Expert Help
Zurich_Pete

Pikap watch,

#1 Post by Zurich_Pete » Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:30 am

Hi, I just joined the forum and would like some information please. I inherited from my Grandfather a Pikap wrist watch with a 14K gold bracelet. I don`t have any documents. I tried google search for Pikap but there were no results. Would anyone have an idea where I can find out more about the brand, history and potential value?
Thanks, Peter
Attachments
20171211_201248.jpg
20171211_201248.jpg (3 MiB) Viewed 608 times

Tags:

JerseyMo

Re: Pikap watch,

#2 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:04 pm

I would first check the movement for additional information such as a makers name, cal. number, serial number and the like.

Also to have the gold tested and weight measured. This is at a minimum give you the value of the gold.

My first quick guess is the name on the dial is from the shop that sold it. But again look inside at the movement for more data to search with.

family pieces passed from generation to generation are fantastic !
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

afire

#3 Post by afire » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:40 am

If that thing is really solid 14k gold, then it probably doesn't much matter who made it. :shock: That'd be a whole lot of gold.
Real men wear small watches.

JerseyMo

#4 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:40 am

afire wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:40 am
If that thing is really solid 14k gold, then it probably doesn't much matter who made it. :shock: That'd be a whole lot of gold.
yeah, I have a hunch the gold maybe the color only. :)
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

Zurich_Pete

#5 Post by Zurich_Pete » Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Thanks for the feedback. From what I can read inside, the movement seems to be a generic ETA 2472, in steel and there is no other inscription on the back of the case or the movement itself. As suggested it is probably the name of a shop. I will have the gold tested. Thanks again for some pointers ... the investigative work is exciting at least.

afire

#6 Post by afire » Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:28 am

I've got my fingers crossed for you. I share JerseyMo's skepticism, but this wouldn't be the first watch to sport an obscure brand, generic movement, and a heavy gold case and band. Maybe you'll get lucky.

And the only thing I can say about the name "Pikap" is that it seems to be the Turkish word for phonograph. And assuming the watch was retailed in Turkey, I'm not sure whether Turkey is more likely the kind of place where a traveler would buy a solid gold watch, or a fake solid gold watch. Probably both. You'll have to let us know what it turns out to be.
Real men wear small watches.