EDC Vintage Ladies Watch

Beginners Vintage Watch Discussion Forum Where You Can Get Expert Help
Pure Michigan

EDC Vintage Ladies Watch

#1 Post by Pure Michigan » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:48 am

I am looking for a reliable, vintage everyday carry for my wife. She is specifically looking for a yellow gold(solid or filled) cocktail watch no later than 1965. I am looking for a movement that is somewhat water tight and not particularly sensitive to shock associated with everyday wear. She favors the smaller cases indicative of the style.

I'm sure this question has appeared many time here, so if any of you care to point me to a place where this question is addressed I would be very greatful.

I look forward to hearing from this knowledgeable community.

Many Thanks!

Magpie

Re: EDC Vintage Ladies Watch

#2 Post by Magpie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:44 am

There are many excellent brands you might consider -- Hamilton and Elgin, for example. What type of design is your wife looking for? Plain or with decoration? Round, rectangular, or some other shape?

To get an idea of the range of styles available in vintage wristwatches, I suggest checking out the Hamilton dealer catalogs that are online here, listed by year: http://www.vintagewatchforums.com/viewforum.php?f=21

mrtoad

#3 Post by mrtoad » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 am

If you're looking for waterproof, you might look at one of the smaller men's watches from that era. In those days, very few ladies' watches were designed to be water resistant, though some were shock resistant. (Making a watch waterproof usually required either a screw back or a solid back with access only by removing the crystal, and either of those methods needed a larger case than was then fashionable for ladies' models.) There were more stainless steel water-resistent watches than gold-filled. However, Bulova and Omega had some gold-filled waterproofs (Bulova's "23" series, in particular). Hamilton did issue at least one waterproof ladies' model, the Career Girl A, in their Hamilton-Illinois line. The Hamilton-Illinois Automatic D was a waterproof gold-filled model. Both Hamilton and Elgin had other waterproof models: look through the catalogues on the Hamilton and Elgin sections of the forum.

Pure Michigan

#4 Post by Pure Michigan » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:59 am

Thankyou both for your input! I will take a look at the catalog. Thank you for the link.