Need help with ID... Is this a Galaxy "E"?

Vintage Ladies Watch Discussion Forum
phdmomof3

Need help with ID... Is this a Galaxy "E"?

#1 Post by phdmomof3 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:28 am

Recently inherited this watch. It's gorgeous and seems to run okay too for a wind up. In looking through the Hamilton catalogs, I think this is a Galaxy E, but the face shows even numbers, not the 12, 3, 6, and 9. And the band looks unique as well, 7 small diamonds running the length down the band on both sides. Was this an optional band, or maybe this was a custom band and may not even be part of the original watch?

And if it is a Galaxy, any ideas on a date?

Thanks!
IMG_8076.JPG
IMG_8076.JPG (484.94 KiB) Viewed 803 times

afire

Re: Need help with ID... Is this a Galaxy "E"?

#2 Post by afire » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:00 am

phdmomof3 wrote:In looking through the Hamilton catalogs, I think this is a Galaxy E, but the face shows even numbers, not the 12, 3, 6, and 9.
What year and page? Just to make it a little easier for people to look and chime in.
Real men wear small watches.

phdmomof3

#3 Post by phdmomof3 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:01 am

I was looking through 1954 - 1957....

Its the band that is throwing me off, it looks like all the bands at that time were the rope style!

Magpie

#4 Post by Magpie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:12 pm

Welcome to the forum! As you can see from the photo thread, Hamilton offered a bewildering number of diamond-set ladies' models in the mid and late 1950s. I collect mostly earlier watches, but I hope I can help you a little.

Could you provide some more pictures of your lovely watch, such as the back of the case, both inside and out, as well as the movement? (Are you absolutely sure it's a Hamilton? I'd expect to see the name Hamilton or Lady Hamilton on the dial, and I can't see that in the photo, though perhaps the lettering might not have shown up clearly in the picture.)

The Galaxy E, which I found in the 1956 catalog as well as the 1957, does have a triangular arrangement of the diamonds much like your watch. However, to my eye at least, the basic case of your watch has a slightly different shape.

My guess about the watch bracelet is that it is a replacement for a plain cord band because the owner wanted something more elaborate. Hamilton itself offered some diamond-set bracelets separately as an option, and some of these were even designed so additional diamonds could be put in from time to time. (Some of these watch bracelets are shown toward the end of the 1956 catalog, right after the "Luxury Series" diamond watches.)