Strange Hamilton Hijack

Vintage Ladies Watch Discussion Forum
SFC

Strange Hamilton Hijack

#1 Post by SFC » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:54 pm

I've noticed that the war years 1942- had a large impact on case makers with contracts with Hamilton. Case makers such as Biggs who were making a significant amount of cases for the many Hamilton ladies models had to adapt to keep their operations going. When Hamilton shifted their focus towards non civilian timepieces the case makers were forced to work closely with private jewelers as a way to fill the void. The photos below show a Hamilton "Frances" model case... however this particular case has no case makers mark, no gold content hallmark, and no Hamilton Lancaster PA hallmark. Inside is a Jules Jurgensen branded Swiss movement (this case does not fit the Hamilton 911M movement). I find the lack of any hallmarks on the case evidence that this practice was not exactly highly regarded but a sneaky way to get rid of an excess supply of cases that may have been a Hamilton proprietary design.

*The Hamilton Frances model does not appear in the 1941 catalog but does appear in the 1942 price list (it was a new model at the time)
*I do not own an example of the Hamilton Frances so I do not know for certain if Biggs made the case (its my assumption)