Vintage Watch Forums

Vintage Collector’s Site for Discussion
Home
Hamilton Watches for Sale
It is currently Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Tube/Sleeve/Crown
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:04 am 

I have contacted some people with my dilemma of stripped threads on the stem and crown tube to this watch case.
Upon preliminary visual inspection I am being told I am out of luck. If I am out of luck because the threads are so badly damaged, then I had an idea.
I'll remove the old tube with the damaged threads and transplant a viable tube with good threads. Sounds simple!
I need a donor case ( it does not have to be a cushion case, as long as the threaded tube would be compatible with early Elgin and Waltham 3/0 movments) in sterling silver that I can cannibalize. I have the resources to try the transplant. I have never attempted to transplant one before, I have nothing to loose.
So, who wants to help me with this difficult surgery. I think it can be done. I would share my post surgery results with you.
So, let's recap. I need a sterling silver donor case that I can remove a viable tube with good threads and hopefully stem and crown already intact, so I can transplant on my old case.
Sounds simple. I am looking for a little help.
Slinfiniti

Attachments:
File comment: Illinois Cushion Case
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 93.14 KiB | Viewed 788 times ]
File comment: Stripped Threads
image.jpeg
image.jpeg [ 236.09 KiB | Viewed 788 times ]

Post subject: Re: Tube/Sleeve/Crown
PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 4:36 pm 

I don't exactly know how this tube & crown function but I think if you could fix without removing the tube that would be ideal. Have you looked into re-tapping the threads? As a last resort you could friction a bushing if need be then drill and re-tap. My fear is that those case tubes won't come out without damage. They aren't meant to..if getting super hot and trying to punch out doesn't do the job you will have to drill the tube out. Update on how it goes... If you do manage to have success there is a specific loc-tite that I use for problem case tubes & chrono pushers. I don't have the number (of the loctite bottle) off the top of my head. Its heavy duty and when it sets it will seal any minor leak. I will post the loc-tite number when I get a chance.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:50 am 

My fear is the threads are too badly damaged to repair. I am fairly confident that I can transplant a new tube assembly.
My confidence is because I have access to a laser welder so I eliminate the risk of heat. That being said, I need a sterling silver donor case so I can surgically remove the tube.
It's a shame not to be able to use a perfectly good case. So if any of you have a case for a 3/0 case, I would love to chat. I will share my findings.....hopefully with great results.
Slinfiniti.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 11:52 am 

Well, the sleeve is still in there - can you not remove it? I can't see how your threads are beyond repair until you do so. If it is stuck in there, just soak it in alum for a few days and it'll dissolve out.

Anyway you are in luck, because even if the threads are ruined, you can fit an alternative style of stem and sleeve to this case! Which does not use the threads. They are a little tricky to set up (depends on crown dimensions), but work just fine.

Splash63 posted this one - this is the style I mean. I can give you rough dimensions of the one needed for this Illinois case.

Do you have the crown, they are hard to come by...

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 12:56 pm 

Alum, you have me intrigued. I have never heard of that trick. I am all ears.
Where do I buy it
What is the correct procedure

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:14 pm 

You make a saturated solution of aluminium sulfate (heated) and drop the case in for 1-2 days. It is a very mild acid. It works best if you can leave it on a low heat (i.e. coffee pot ring). It dissolves the steel, and will leave the silver untouched. You might want to occasionally poke the steel part to speed things up - but if you are patient you really don't need to.

You can buy Alum in spice shops for pickling, but I think the easiest place to source it is the garden shop - where it is used to make Hydrangeas flower blue.

Afterwards if you want to, you can boil it in baking soda to neutralise any remaining acid.

I have done this many times, to save - in fact - exactly the same case, as well as main plates and winding buttons.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:28 pm 

I will try that. For some reason I thought the sleeve was sterling silver. Thank you for the tip. Stay tuned

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:34 pm 

what exactly is the problem with the sleeve that is currently in the watch. Tabs broken? Depthing issue? Have you tried a sleeve wrench?

Trim, can you explain more about the alternate sleeve you are referring to? Are they threadless and merely friction in? Are they available in larger sizes for PW's?

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:45 am 

The current sleeve does not properly grip the stem. When I pulled the stem out to set the time the stem and crown would come out.
My watch guy tried to fix it without luck. The conclusion, it was stripped.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:14 pm 

SFC wrote:
Trim, can you explain more about the alternate sleeve you are referring to? Are they threadless and merely friction in? Are they available in larger sizes for PW's?

They are threadless - but don't use friction, rather the lip is held/compressed between the edge of the case and the movement.

I have only ever seen wrist watch sizes I am afraid.