Hello New Member with Newly Acquired WW1 Lancet Trench Watch

Vintage Military Watch Discussion Forum
pureform

Hello New Member with Newly Acquired WW1 Lancet Trench Watch

#1 Post by pureform » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:11 am

Hello everybody I came on here to hopefully get some expertise and help on my newly acquired WW1 Lancet trench watch...

So I decided to buy just one trench watch to add to my collection since I collect Winchester Trench Shotguns...

I bought this on eBay yesterday... The pics are terrible and i will have this in my hands on monday so i will take better pics and post but for now here is a link and tell me what you guys see and think...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/222382081271?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

If you click on the picture you will be able to see the rest... Anyways the seller said he didn't know much about this piece and only knew from his cousin (original owner) that he was selling it for about the history on this piece. Basically it was his great uncle's watch and he wore it during the war. He said that the military did not issue these watches and they had to buy it themselves with their own money.
He said its all original and exactly how it came when he wore it during the war...

So what you guys think? Looks to have a leather strap and shield... Im not sure of the movement and he said he didn't want to mess with it and open it... But he says it runs perfect but slightly fast by couple minutes in 24 hours he had it... He thinks the case is nickel...

I was told that it still has the original lume intact and can be dangerous due to radiation??? Is that true? I was planning on wearing this watch sometimes... What you guys think? Anyways I paid $225 for this piece how did I do?

I will receive this piece on monday and take better pics with details but for now what you guys think... Thanks for your help...

pureform

Re: Hello New Member with Newly Acquired WW1 Lancet Trench W

#2 Post by pureform » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Guess this website is dead... No movement... If anybody can recommend a website please let me know...

leibo

#3 Post by leibo » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:44 pm

There are some people on the forum who really know WWI Trench watches - give them a few days to check in.

There is a website that specializes in military watches as well - www.mwrforum.net. There should be some experts there as well.

You definitely need to take it to someone to have the movement overhauled and oiled - not doing so can damage the watch.

afire

#4 Post by afire » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:11 am

pureform wrote:I was told that it still has the original lume intact and can be dangerous due to radiation??? Is that true? I was planning on wearing this watch sometimes... What you guys think?
I would recommend against licking the dial or eating the hands. Otherwise, it's fine.
Real men wear small watches.

watchdoc

#5 Post by watchdoc » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:30 am

WOW...
Guess this website is dead... No movement...
A great start to try and win friends and get help!!! :roll:

This is definitely not a dead forum, anything but. You need to be patient as members here are very knowledgeable but don't live here 24/7!

Do you want "fast" or "accurate"????
"A man is no better than what he leaves behind"
Cecil B. DeMille

Try to remember, Just because you read it on the internet, doesn't make it true!