Vintage Watch Forums

Vintage Collector’s Site for Discussion
Home
Hamilton Watches for Sale
It is currently Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Trench Watch Identification
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:47 am 

Hello, all! This is a great forum and I was wondering if I might be able to get a little help. I have a bit of a WWI addiction and a budding watch addiction, so I coupled the two and found myself the owner of a non-working trench watch listed here http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-World-War-1-Birmingham-England-Sterling-Silver-Wristwatch-/152251774660?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&nma=true&si=jMWcOkqi8CfCAHgYMVr9Vr0ahh4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I knew it was in need of service and didn't expect it to work, but I took it to a couple reputable watch repairers and they both said the balance wheel is broken. The first one sent me to the second one because he didn't have the parts and the second one said it would probably cost over $1000 to have the watch shipped to Switzerland to have a new balance wheel made.

Well, first off, $1000+ is a bit steep for me and, secondly, I'm not sure the watch is worth spending anywhere near that much. There are few marks, as witnessed in the pics in the listing: the case is marked Dennison and the movement has no markings besides "Swiss made," so there are few clues about the movement.

Anyway, if anyone might have some info on this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Is it worth fixing? Second question: do you know of anyone that might have extra parts to fix this over having to have a new balance wheel machined to make it a reasonable cost/worth fixing?

Thanks for taking your time!

Post subject: Re: Trench Watch Identification
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:37 am 

When I hear a watchmaker quoting $1000 for a balance repair, I tend to think that's his way of turning you away. A lot of watchmakers these days seem to have little or no interest in working on vintage watches since they don't pay that well. I'd keep looking until you find somebody who's asking something more in the $200 neighborhood.

Post subject: Re: Trench Watch Identification
PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:14 pm 

Thank you for the reply! I had considered he might have been doing the same, too. These guys are working on high dollar watches, so they don't really care about my POS.

That said, I did some more digging and found more info about the watch.

It's a 1915-1916 marked Dennison case with a BTCo military/military-like movement in it. This EXCELLENT site had the exact case http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/blogdennison.php back and the movement description page http://www.vintagewatchstraps.com/movements.php of the piece I have.

Information/images from VintageWatchstraps.com © David Boettcher

Case

Movement

Anyway, I guess my next question is what parts can be used/what should I ask repair places if they have to be able to do it?

Lastly, I have done some minor work on watches, I do have a pretty decent compliment of tools, and I have a mechanical aptitude. Would it be overly complicated to replace the balance wheel myself? If not, any idea where I might be able to locate the part?

Sorry for the million questions. Thank you very much for your help and time.