Lewis & Son Chronograph

Vintage Military Watch Discussion Forum
drphysic

Lewis & Son Chronograph

#1 Post by drphysic » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:29 pm

I have my father's flying watch, from the period before 1948 when he died in a plane crash in the Colorado Rockies. The dial indicates it is a "LEWIS & SON" watch, while one of the bridges shows "LEVIS & SON" and "SWISS" and a 7 jewel designation. It is a single button chronograph in a steel case marked "LEWIS & SON."I have never been able to find anything more about this watch. It may have been issued to him in WWII as he flew in the South Pacific.

I wonder if anyone has come across such a watch and might know something about it.

DRB
DSC_0008.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG (347.79 KiB) Viewed 1282 times
DSC_0012.JPG
DSC_0012.JPG (328.1 KiB) Viewed 1282 times

gtopaul

Re: Lewis & Son Chronograph

#2 Post by gtopaul » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Yours has a Valjoux 22 movement. It's only the second Lewis & Son I've seen. From what I found a few years back they had a shop in NYC and did limited custom work. Does yours have the VXZ Swiss code on the balance cock? Yours probably does say Lewis & Son on the bridge especially if it's hand inscribed (early model). The one I had used the Valjoux 71 movement and I also could hardly find anything online about it.

drphysic

Re: Lewis & Son Chronograph

#3 Post by drphysic » Tue May 23, 2017 1:03 pm

Sorry for the delay in replying, as I had to get this out of the bank box to inspect again.

You are right, it has "VXZ" as well as "7 jewels" and "unadjusted" on the movement parts. The case has the following on the back cover:

Lewis & Son
FOND
AWER INOX

plus the usual repair codes. Since my father died before I was 2, I never had the chance to ask him about the watch's history. He had told my mother that many of his friend's Govt.-issued watches in WWII were smashed with a hammer when they mustered out, so I don't know if this was saved because he remained in the Army Air Corps until 1946, or it was his personal flying watch.

I appreciate the information you provided, which I will pass on to my son, who also likes mechanical watches (he has an Omega Moon Watch I gave him for med school graduation).

Doug