A Little Help Please...

Vintage Military Watch Discussion Forum
MPassaro

A Little Help Please...

#1 Post by MPassaro » Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:24 pm

A friend of mine is asking about this and, since it's not a Hamilton, I don't know anything about it.

If anyone can offer some info (is it real, is it quality, desirable, how much it is to likely sell for, etc) it would be highly appreciated.

Thanks
Mark Passaro

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321076330638?_t ... 97.c0.m619

C. Hurt

Re: A Little Help Please...

#2 Post by C. Hurt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:35 am

It's real, but not in the way the seller is describing it...

The movement is a Venus 170, although I've never seen a seven jewel version before. It has nothing to do with Breitling, so it's a bit misleading to have that info in the title.

Chronographs of this type were common during and after WW2, and they are seen with all sorts of makers names, using several fairly standard ebauche movements from the specialty chronograph makers (Venus, Valjoux, Landeron, et al). Clinton was an importer during that time.

This one seems to be in decent shape and the dial is pretty good. I would expect maybe $250 to $300, although the Breitling name may drive it up somewhat. The fact that it needs to be serviced is a big negative, as many watchmakers charge a premium for working on these, and parts are hard to come by if needed.