18K Dennison Waltham River Maximus

Vintage Waltham Watch Discussion Forum
slinfiniti

18K Dennison Waltham River Maximus

#1 Post by slinfiniti » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:29 am

I would like your help. I was fortunate enough to pick this up. It is a Waltham Riverside Maximus 19 Jewel set into a solid 18 Karat yellow gold Dennison case with a swing out movement. The watch has been taken apart as I am cleaning the dial to minimize the hairlines.
My question is that the serial number on the watch does NOT match what some of the on line data bases indicate. The serial number is 27138792, some on line data bases list it as a 1930 16 size 7 jewel. I would appreciate your help in solving this mystery.
Attachments
Case.JPG
Case.JPG (117.33 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Case without Bezel.JPG
Case without Bezel.JPG (121.68 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Close Up Serial.JPG
Close Up Serial.JPG (110.45 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Movement Serial.JPG
Movement Serial.JPG (131.89 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Dial.jpg
Dial.jpg (93.95 KiB) Viewed 524 times
Swing Out.JPG
Swing Out.JPG (102.51 KiB) Viewed 524 times

JerryT

Re: 18K Dennison Waltham River Maximus

#2 Post by JerryT » Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:36 am

First, I would start by noting that the Waltham records have many errors. Particularly in the late production numbers they appear to have missed some of the smaller production runs, and that is not surprising when the list only shows a large run of 3,000 movements (as in the case of this example). Ultimately the watches tell the story, and obviously this is not a 7-jewel 16-size movement. It would appear to be a nice, late 3/0 size movement. However, there is still another discrepancy to deal with. The serial number would suggest a movement made around 1929, yet the case was made in 1926, based on the hallmarks. Although movements sometimes lay around in stock until being cased I think it less likely that a hallmarked case would lay around unused for several years. This would suggest to me that someone may have upgraded this fine case with a better movement than was originally installed.