Weird 8-sided Waltham wristwatch

Vintage Waltham Watch Discussion Forum
brtime

Weird 8-sided Waltham wristwatch

#1 Post by brtime » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:30 am

Anyone seen a Waltham wristwatch like this? Can't find it in any of my available catalogs or literature. 15-jewel "Sapphire" movement with serial number 27170016, which comes up as circa 1930 year of production. 14kt white gold filled is made by Fahys, and the word BRISTOL underneath. Also engraved on the caseback is SHAPE PATENTED which I've never seen before. Comments welcome. Model name or number?
weirdwaltham.jpg
weirdwaltham.jpg (53.03 KiB) Viewed 708 times

Magpie

Re: Weird 8-sided Waltham wristwatch

#2 Post by Magpie » Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:52 pm

This watch looks to be a "Southamption," a generic case also known to house Elgin and Illinois movements. See Fred Friedberg's first book, pp.195-96, for more information. When I get a chance, I'll take a look at some of my jobbers' catalogs and see whether I can find a Waltham pictured in that case.

(By the way, does the marking inside the case back happen to include a "W"?)

brtime

#3 Post by brtime » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:47 pm

Magpie wrote:This watch looks to be a "Southamption," a generic case also known to house Elgin and Illinois movements. See Fred Friedberg's first book, pp.195-96, for more information. When I get a chance, I'll take a look at some of my jobbers' catalogs and see whether I can find a Waltham pictured in that case.

(By the way, does the marking inside the case back happen to include a "W"?)
Thank you so much. Yes, there is a "W" on the inside case back. It is right after the "6/0". See image attached.

Bruce
Attachments
southamptoninsideback.jpg
southamptoninsideback.jpg (163.05 KiB) Viewed 687 times

Magpie

#4 Post by Magpie » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:21 pm

You're quite welcome! (I thought there might be a "W" since Fred notes that the Elgins were marked "E" and the Illinois "I", or "E/I" for either. Your Waltham is lovely!