Diamond in the rough ?

Vintage Waltham Watch Discussion Forum
diveboy

Diamond in the rough ?

#1 Post by diveboy » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:48 pm

I brought this a few years ago before I decided I would focus solely on Elgin.I've done some research on this and it seems to be a 'diamond in the rough' and a lucky buy on my uneducated behalf but its not an Elgin, so its gotta go to make room for other Elgins.

This is a 18s 7 jewel full plate keywind William Ellery 1877 made during August - September 1880 according to the pocketwatchdatabase

So why do I say its a diamond in the rough?

Waltham won several gold medals in sequential years at the international exhibtions

Philadelphia 1876
Paris 1878
Sydney 1879
Melbourne 1880
London in 1885

This watch; produced in 1880 and cased in a Waltham Sterling Silver Case celebrated three of those gold medals, being Philadelphia, Paris and Sydney. I didn't think much of this at the time but I have confirmed that this is indeed a Waltham made case, so quite possible this watch was sold at the Melbourne International Exhibition in 1880 directly by Waltham as opposed to a retail store and was made for this purpose. I haven't been able to find another case to confirm this, something you might want to do ? you may not even find one, making this unique and more valuable.

The Sydney Morning Herald 15th July 1880

Hallmarks

Brimingham

Waltham Watch Company, AB (Alfred Bedford) was the manager of the Waltham Watch Co, Holborn Circus, London (registered Mar 1879)

I believe dates it to 1880

Movement

Movement

Can anyone add to this story or prove my statements are wrong ? Yes I'm going to flip this one shortly as it doesn't fit with Elgins, so if you are interested PM me.

Thanks for reading.
Disruptive Elgin Collector.... 39.56043956043956
http://www.elgin.watch - Elgin Model Database
instagram @elgindownunder