BIGGEST Solid Gold Trench Watch I've Ever Seen, 36mm!!!

Vintage Waltham Watch Discussion Forum
Literustyfan

BIGGEST Solid Gold Trench Watch I've Ever Seen, 36mm!!!

#1 Post by Literustyfan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:46 am

Hey guys!

For years now I have been searching the planet, hunting down, obtaining, documenting and cataloging the rarest wrist watches from the WWI era.

I can now check one more off of my list!

I am always searching for unique designs with over the top shapes and case features.

Every once in a blue moon I come across a case that has several of the extremely desirable features that makes the watch almost unbelievable.

This watch has a coin edge bezel, coin edge case back, deep well bezel, threaded semi-hermetic case design and is DOUBLE the normal weight of a run of the mill case.

This case is 9k solid gold and it is an almost unbelievable 36mm in diameter going across not including the crown.

This is by FAR the LARGEST solid gold trench watch case that I have ever seen!

To put things in perspective the GIANT size 6s Philadelphia trench watch cases measure 38mm going across, not including the crown!

This case is only 2mm smaller than a 6s!!!

But, here is the kicker, this watch features a size 0s movement, not a size 6s!

The case was made by the Dennison Watch Case Company of Birmingham England in 1923.

Waltham stopped making size 0s movements in 1918 so any movement will pre-date the case.

Yes, trench watch style case designs were extremely popular in the UK well after the Great War had ended.

Dennison was still manufacturing trench watch style cases with "fixed lugs" well into the the mid 1930's that featured Waltham movements.

This case was first available from the Dennison Watch Case Company in 1915.

Dennison named this case the "0 Size Heavyweight".

They absolutely and positively hit the nail on the head with that name!

The case alone WITHOUT the movement, dial, hands, crystal and strap weighs an astounding 20.2 grams of 9k solid gold!

That is just shy of 3/4 of an ounce, your run of the mill size 0s solid gold trench watch case only weighs about 10 grams so this one is DOUBLE the normal weight.

According to company advertising this case was available in nickel, sterling silver, 9k solid gold and 18k solid gold.

I've never seen a solid gold version of this case before, I've only seen them in sterling silver.

The case measures 36mm going across, 42.8mm lug tip to lug tip with a 12mm lug diameter, it is BIG, the BIGGEST solid gold one that I've ever seen!

15 jewels, size 0s movement, RED 12 enamel dial, blue steel hands, just serviced, new mainspring, new crystal, new 12mm strap.

I polished the case and that really made the coin edging on the bezel and case back POP, the coin edging catches the light beautifully now.

This watch is just like a Unicorn, a fabled creature that everybody has heard of but nobody has ever seen.

Several of the sterling silver versions can be found in the pages of the trench watch books I have written.

If I found this watch earlier it DEFINITELY would have been placed on the cover of my Waltham book!

Enjoy the pics................

http://www.LRFAntiqueWatches.com

Author of "Elgin Trench Watches of The Great War"

Author of "Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War"

Magpie

Re: BIGGEST Solid Gold Trench Watch I've Ever Seen, 36mm!!!

#2 Post by Magpie » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:31 am

WOW!!! You really hit the jackpot with this one, Stan: beautiful watch and terrific ad documenting it! (But this is what we expect from you -- as demonstrated in those two remarkable books of yours.) Congrats!

stryfox

#3 Post by stryfox » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:19 am

This watch is fake. To save your reputation you should send it to me so I can properly dispose of it.
;)
All jokes aside. That is one cool find!
I might print a picture of it and put it in your book.

Literustyfan

#4 Post by Literustyfan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:31 am

LOL ! ! !

There is so much gold in this watch I think that I just sprained my wrist checking the time!
http://www.LRFAntiqueWatches.com

Author of "Elgin Trench Watches of The Great War"

Author of "Waltham Trench Watches of the Great War"

randy van

#5 Post by randy van » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:31 pm

Wow! Absolutely amazing. What a find.

inatime

#6 Post by inatime » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Sweet! That is one nice watch!
Patrick