Waltham Square Engraved Project

Vintage Waltham Watch Discussion Forum
441victor

Waltham Square Engraved Project

#1 Post by 441victor » Thu May 17, 2012 5:53 pm

This is my latest restoration project. It’s a 6/0 size square engraved Waltham in a Brooklyn Watch Case Co Conqueror case marked 6/0 W. Taking a meme from the Illinois collectors, that makes this a generic.

The back was corroded through and repaired with lead solder at some point. They also globbed solder on the lugs though there was no noticable wear to the pin holes. I guess they just looked flimsy (like solder would help make them stronger). Soft solder like this is an easy repair but looks and feels nasty and can be scratched with a fingernail.

After melting out the lead, I continued my exploration of case repair using silver. With a couple of tips from Steve (N2FHL) about controlling the amount of heating and working from underneath the repair area, I was able to restore the edges and corners to their original shape. Although the silver solder doesn’t match the white gold and tarnishes differently, it looks much better than lead and is a lot more permanent.

The movement is a model 1912 produced in 1933. It’s a Ruby grade with 17 jewels.

It’s a negative set movement so I’m having some trouble finding sleeves, stems and crowns. I also need to source a crystal as the glass original is very marked up and hiding the nice original dial.

Joel

SeanO

Re: Waltham Square Engraved Project

#2 Post by SeanO » Fri May 18, 2012 7:29 pm

that looks like a great project Joel.

will be looking forward to the finals shots.