Waltham Hubbard 21j 8.75L Premier Movement 14k Wadsworth Case.

Vintage Waltham Watch Discussion Forum
441victor

Waltham Hubbard 21j 8.75L Premier Movement 14k Wadsworth Case.

#1 Post by 441victor » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:14 pm

Here is a special Waltham that I’ve been hoping to find for a long time. It’s called the Hubbard and it is quintessentially Waltham in design and detail.

Waltham seemed to excel in producing watches that your grandfather would approve of. They did Art Deco well enough but when designs started to get edgy after WWII they lacked the will or resources to participate. Despite its sapphire studded dial it is totally conservative. It has a trench watch esthetic that draws from Waltham’s very first wrist watches. It’s small at just 28mm across, having only 15mm lug spacing and built around their 8.75L movement. The sapphire markers were not added on to bling the Hubbard up for Tiffany customers. They were an original part of the dial design, sapphires with blued hands for the yellow gold case, rubies and yellow hands for the red version. They are set in solid gold mounts.

The 21j movement is a Premier grade 891 from 1939. It has Waltham’s Jeweled Main Wheel which runs in a pair of jewels leaving the pallet to get along without caps. It removes from the front after separating the bezel from the case. Provided by Wadsworth, the case is solid 14k.

The Hubbard shows up in advertisements both before and after the war but must not have been popular model. This is only the third example I’ve seen after one on Bryan Girouard’s site and another in a post on the NAWCC message board.

I was lucky to find this Hubbard on ebay. All it took from there was determination and a willingness to pay over the melt price of the case.

Joel