Waltham Dennison 3/0 Riverside grade model 1907.

Vintage Waltham Watch Discussion Forum
441victor

Waltham Dennison 3/0 Riverside grade model 1907.

#1 Post by 441victor » Tue May 08, 2018 10:23 pm

I have long wanted a Dennison cased wrist watch. The problem is a familiar one. Any old watch with wire lugs will be described as a WWI officer’s trench watch by your average squinty eyed ebay merchant and hyped unmercifully to the masses. If you add the Dennison name into the mix, the bidding will inevitably go crazy. Sometimes you just have to outlast and outbid them.

Aaron Lufkin Dennison was instrumental in starting the American mass production of watches using machinery instead of hand labor. In the middle 1800’s he helped found the Waltham Watch Company. Afterwards he migrated to England were he formed what would become the Dennison Watch Case Company. This cushion shaped Waltham is not one of the waterproof cases he became most famous for, but a Moon quality gold filled example also used by Rolex, Tavanes and Omega during the 20’s and 30’s.

I’ve took the liberty of replacing the existing 7 jewel movement with a Riverside grade movement made in 1935. They are happily underappreciated by ebay buyers and can be found for as little as $10 despite putting most high end swiss movements to shame. Their outstanding finish quality and gold center wheel and jewel settings deserve to be shown off instead of hidden away in a drawer.

The dial that came with the case is a red 12 hard enamel lovely with just one small hairline at the edge just outside of view. I added a set of hands that are all brightly blued although that's hard to feature in a photo without the glare getting in the way.

A truly magnificent watch that highlights the fine products of the two companies founded by a pioneer of the watch industry, A. L. Dennison.

Joel

randy van

Re: Waltham Dennison 3/0 Riverside grade model 1907.

#2 Post by randy van » Wed May 09, 2018 6:01 am

I wish we had a "like" button! Very nice watch, Victor.

Dadistic

Re: Waltham Dennison 3/0 Riverside grade model 1907.

#3 Post by Dadistic » Thu May 10, 2018 11:26 am

Yeah, a like button would be nice, but I don't mind congratulating the OP for having such a fine watch, and especially for the "Riverside" tip :-)