Waltham 1899 Repair

Vintage Waltham Watch Discussion Forum
gholian

Waltham 1899 Repair

#1 Post by gholian » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:57 am

Hello Everyone,

My First Post so here goes. I have a Waltham model 1899 Hunter watch. From movement serial number it dates from 1901. I had been thrown in a box for over 50 years. My parents tried to get it fixed a few times but to no avail. I am now attempting to get it working again. I done the research and from youtube videos was able to take it apart, clean and oil and put back together. The issue with it not working was the balance shaft was broken, the hair spring wrapped around the balance wheel, top jewel cracked and the piece on the bottom that the pallet fork connects into had the tab broken off. Doesn't get any worse than that I think.

I managed to get a scrap movement off ebay. The balance from what I can tell is fine. When I put it into my watch it will only work face down once the balance wheel is rotated with a tweezers. The jewels look okay so issue more than likely with balance shaft. I have no way of changing balance shaft so called a Horologist in the UK. I was told over the phone if there is a problem with the balance it cannot be repaired. This was very disappointing to here as have already spent a lot of time on it and don't want to throw it back into the box for another 50 years.

Can someone advise me please. I see that balance shafts are available (two types used) so can't understand why a watch repairer can't repair the balance. Have anyone replaced the balance shaft on a Waltham 1899. I think the problem is with the balance shaft or maybe the balance wheel needs to be balanced.

Any help appreciated,
Thanks.

JerseyMo

Re: Waltham 1899 Repair

#2 Post by JerseyMo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:17 am

perhaps the watchmakers reply is because he knows the time and cost out weights the value of the item. They have a business to run and at times must say no to tasks that will consume to much time and effort.
can't blame them for this.
Now you have to decide if the project is to continue or not. Most likely if you stick around long enough you will come across another movement that has what you need.
Good luck.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

JerryT

#3 Post by JerryT » Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:49 pm

gholian - the watchmaker you contacted just does not want to be bothered with your watch. Find another watchmaker. The 1899 Waltham is one of the easier watches to repair. The balance staff (either one of the two) is a friction staff that is simple for a competent watchmaker to replace. You do not give us much information about your watch or the scrap movement but, assuming that both are lower to mid-grade movements with single-roller escapements, there is no reason the watch cannot be fixed.

gholian

#4 Post by gholian » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:24 am

JerseyMo wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:17 am
perhaps the watchmakers reply is because he knows the time and cost out weights the value of the item. They have a business to run and at times must say no to tasks that will consume to much time and effort.
can't blame them for this.
Now you have to decide if the project is to continue or not. Most likely if you stick around long enough you will come across another movement that has what you need.
Good luck.
Yes, it would be time consuming but I am willing to pay the cost of repair. The watch has value to me.

gholian

#5 Post by gholian » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:44 am

JerryT wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:49 pm
gholian - the watchmaker you contacted just does not want to be bothered with your watch. Find another watchmaker. The 1899 Waltham is one of the easier watches to repair. The balance staff (either one of the two) is a friction staff that is simple for a competent watchmaker to replace. You do not give us much information about your watch or the scrap movement but, assuming that both are lower to mid-grade movements with single-roller escapements, there is no reason the watch cannot be fixed.
The watch and movement are low grade 15 Jewels, grade 620. I live in Ireland but cannot find anyone to examine or replace a balance shaft. Mechanical watch repair is a thing of the past. My only option is someone in UK or US. Could you recommend someone skilled on the Walthams.

Thanks.

JerseyMo

#6 Post by JerseyMo » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:43 am

gholian wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:24 am
Yes, it would be time consuming but I am willing to pay the cost of repair. The watch has value to me.
contact Greg Ward and tell him Jersey Mo sent ya- http://www.woodlandtechnical.co.uk/
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

gholian

#7 Post by gholian » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:03 am

JerseyMo wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:43 am
gholian wrote:
contact Greg Ward and tell him Jersey Mo sent ya- http://www.woodlandtechnical.co.uk/
Thanks for that. I will contact him on Monday. Have you used his services before?
Thanks.

JerseyMo

#8 Post by JerseyMo » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:15 pm

gholian wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:03 am
JerseyMo wrote:
gholian wrote:
Thanks for that. I will contact him on Monday. Have you used his services before?
Thanks.
yes, he has done a number of restores for me. Excellent work and generally a quick turnaround time.

gholian

#9 Post by gholian » Wed May 02, 2018 9:19 am

JerseyMo wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:15 pm
gholian wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:03 am
JerseyMo wrote:

Thanks.
yes, he has done a number of restores for me. Excellent work and generally a quick turnaround time.
Thanks for that I was a little afraid of the website. Just an email address and no contact Phone Number or place of business.

Dadistic

#10 Post by Dadistic » Thu May 03, 2018 7:13 am

I noticed that he has updated his website, a bit more professional looking now :-)

He used to have a very tongue-in-cheek FAQ page that made fun of some of the more, ah, difficult customers that watchmakers sometimes have to deal with.

The best watchmakers are plenty busy, they usually don't have to promote at all, so don't let a lack of info on the web page, or for that matter the lack of a web page at all, deter you.