Waltham 6/0 Model 1898 Ruby Sweep Second in an Apex jobber case.

Vintage Waltham Watch Discussion Forum
441victor

Waltham 6/0 Model 1898 Ruby Sweep Second in an Apex jobber case.

#1 Post by 441victor » Fri Mar 23, 2018 9:53 pm

The early sweep second movements have always been near the top of my list of desirable Walthams. They are normally found inside Keystone Victory cases like this.

Even though they are not Waltham signed, it’s generally accepted that they were factory issued because of the special “sweep second” marking inside of the back which referred to their exclusive pairing with the specially modified 1898 model movement. They are also prominently featured in catalogs throughout the ‘30s with the name Medico. Recently I picked up this jobber cased watch with a sweep second movement.

I normally avoid non-factory models unless they have a movement I’m looking to get for another case. Most jobber cases are of lower quality and are missing something in their design that just doesn’t appeal to me. This Apex made case is a rare exception that I’ve grown attached to.

It’s 10k rolled gold plate like the Keystone but I like the design a whole lot better. The movement is carried in a separate ring that fits tightly into the back and they in turn slip into the front case made of the bezel and lugs. Not a new concept but the Keystone makes you deal with the attached strap or band while trying to maneuver the negative set movement over the case mounted stem and into it’s snug home. The looks of the Apex are refreshing in comparison especially where the crystal fits flush with the bezel and the design of the lugs.

This is one of my favorite Waltham dial designs too. They have used this bar and numeral marker motif on both center second and sub second models. This one is remarkably clean for a nearly 90 year old watch so, to further show it off, I added a silver second hand in place of the pedestrian black.

This little ruby proves to be the exception to my rule against jobber cased watches.

Joel