Waltham Grade 567 17j Ruby from 1934.

Vintage Waltham Watch Discussion Forum
441victor

Waltham Grade 567 17j Ruby from 1934.

#1 Post by 441victor » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:59 pm

Another glorious Waltham from the 30’s. This one came to me back in May and I just got around to getting it running. I seldom bid on Hess auctions because of their unrealistic prices but this watch came to me for an uncontested $40 bid. Maybe it was the non-running part of the description or the Waltham flare for staid styling but it was a more than reasonable price for a well preserved Jewel Series watch from Waltham’s prewar heyday.

The case is 14kgf made by Keystone J Boss. It has a little wear and some scratches that I'm afraid to try and buff out. Otherwise it's survived the last 80 some years in remarkable shape. The crystal is glass and has no damage. The dial is an original example of the 619 style illustrated in the Watch and Clock Material catalog. It has a full complement of black enameled numbers outlined with shining gold leaf, an inset mirrored seconds register and some of the nicest blue diamond spear tipped hands I’ve seen.

The movement is a negative set model 1898 from a run in June 1934. It has the Ruby engraving and square damascene decoration of the late 17j Jewel Series models. As well as gold settings for its full complement of jewels. Production would end a little over 2 years later when the positive set versions were introduced called the model 1937. The Jewel Series were phased out entirely in 1940. Replaced by the smaller 8 3/4 ligne model 870 movements.

Waltham to me has always epitomized a boardroom conservative style of art deco and they gave it to this watch in spades. Its amazing.

An extraordinary watch that both keeps time and wastes it as I spend way too many minutes just looking at my wrist watching the hands go round.

Joel