a pair of Walthams

Vintage Waltham Watch Discussion Forum
JackW

a pair of Walthams

#1 Post by JackW » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:46 pm

Last month (July 2017) I had a good month with watches. A few eBay purchases, estate/yard sale finds and even scored something good that the Colorado NAWCC regional.

In these were two Waltham products: A vintage car clock and a Depollier Khaki wrist watch.

I'm not interested in collecting clocks. Nor am I overly interested in pocket watches. The car clock was in expensive and seemed interesting. It is basically an over sized (37 size) pocket watch movement. My initial inspection revealed that the balance while in good shape was missing the roller jewel. Takes a #50 long roller jewel. An easy fix, but wasn't easy to track down.... finally got one in a lot of vintage roller jewels I acquired from a fellow member of the local NAWCC chapter.

The balance with a missing roller jewel...
wal_37z_mvt_roller.jpg
wal_37z_mvt_roller.jpg (141.72 KiB) Viewed 577 times
well, not all of it was missing. It was broken off and looking closely you can see the nubbin' of what is left.

Here is what it looks like in the front:
clock_sm.jpg
clock_sm.jpg (163.76 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Here is the back side of the movement; 7 jewel model 1910. Seems nearly three-quarters of a million of this model was made.
clk_mvt_sm.jpg
clk_mvt_sm.jpg (190 KiB) Viewed 577 times
In disassembly of the movement, I got stuck with the main springs:
double barrels.jpg
double barrels.jpg (147.83 KiB) Viewed 577 times
They're huge and I do not have a winder large enough to have replaced them... I cleaned the arbors and placed them back without further cleaning.

The train in these is pretty neat. Its in-line:
train.jpg
train.jpg (186.07 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Anyway, it now sits on my bench. Was thinking I might mount it in my Jeep. That however is a likely recipe for a broken staff with the way I drive...

So, that brings us the the Depollier Khaki I happily snapped up at the Regional...

This is, it as I found it at the regional. Heck, I took this picture a few minutes are buying it.
way before.jpg
way before.jpg (220 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Inside is a 7-jewel Waltham model 1907, grade 361. Serial indicates production about 1917.
Here is is with the balance being checked for shake after I had the jewels out for cleaning
bal_fit.jpg
bal_fit.jpg (178.54 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Cleaned up the metal dial. Also took the hands, sanded them to remove the rust , polished them and re-blued...
before.jpg
before.jpg (175.93 KiB) Viewed 577 times
I used luminova to re-do the dial and hands, but I add a material for an 'aged' look...
it glows:
dial glow.jpg
dial glow.jpg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 577 times
But isn't the obnoxious radium green....
wrist shot_sm.jpg
wrist shot_sm.jpg (184.84 KiB) Viewed 577 times
All I know is based on hard work & writing by others. I can only aspire to augment this body of knowledge. If I am wrong it is because of my own failings. -me
"If I have seen farther it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Newton

trim

Re: a pair of Walthams

#2 Post by trim » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:56 pm

Lovely work Jack!

I can't imagine you'd break the staff in your jeep though.

The Depoiler looks brilliant, its nice to see a metal dial in great condition.