Does this make sense?

Vintage Waltham Watch Discussion Forum
Gabe

Does this make sense?

#1 Post by Gabe » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:55 am

I got this watch yesterday from my 94 year-old watch guy:

WalthamCampus-4.jpg
WalthamCampus-4.jpg (677.57 KiB) Viewed 599 times

It's running and keeping perfect time. He tells me it was his grandfather's watch. The serial number is 24878490, which would put it at 1925.

It looks very much like the Waltham Campus in this ad:

WalthamCampusAd.jpg
WalthamCampusAd.jpg (57.32 KiB) Viewed 599 times
This ad says 15 jewels, but the pocketwatchdatabase says my watch has 7 jewels.

Should I make much of the discrepancy?

My watchmaker said that back then, people selected movements separate from the cases and the bracelets, and that if you were poor, you went for a 7-jewel movement instead of a 15-jewel movement.

Does this make sense?

Here's a photo with the bracelet:

WalthamCampus-1.jpg
WalthamCampus-1.jpg (1.62 MiB) Viewed 599 times

watchdoc#1

Re: Does this make sense?

#2 Post by watchdoc#1 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:46 am

My watchmaker said that back then, people selected movements separate from the cases and the bracelets, and that if you were poor, you went for a 7-jewel movement instead of a 15-jewel movement.
Absolutely makes sense...
I used to be known as "watchdoc" now I'm watchdoc#1. Check me out under the members list. :roll:

JerseyMo

#3 Post by JerseyMo » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:24 am

all good except the comment on if one is poor. There are plenty of well offs who "SQUEAK" when they walk because of being so tight @ss...

if you have ever worked for tips you'll know what I mean.
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

afire

#4 Post by afire » Fri Nov 16, 2018 10:30 am

I would add that your watch is definitely not the Campus model shown in the ad, so I wouldn't take anything from the fact that the movement is 7 jewels instead of 16. By then, Waltham may have been standardizing to the point where you could say that it should have a 15 jewel movement, and anything else is wrong. That was starting with most American watch companies in the early to mid 1920s.
Real men wear small watches.

441victor

#5 Post by 441victor » Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:43 pm

"It looks very much like the Waltham Campus in this ad:"
Except for the:
Shape of the case sides.
Shape of the lugs.
Shape of the bezel opening.
The printed minute tracks in the dial.
Shape of the numerals.
Case material.
Attention to detail is essential when identifying a watch model. If we were collecting horseshoes or hand grenades, close would count. Joel

Gabe

So what do you think it is?

#6 Post by Gabe » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:50 am

Thank you, Joel.

Of course, details matter when attempting to attribute an exact identification, which is obviously not possible from the information I have here. That's why I wrote to this forum asking for identification help.

So is there another Waltham publication or ad that you think might shed more light on its identification?

Until I can find a source image it matches better, do you think it's not worth trying to identify similarities?

I think close counts when you're attempting to narrow down an identification into iteratively diminishing possible matches. At least, I feel pretty confident this is from the 20's or 30's (so the pocketwatchdatabase id of 1925 makes sense), and that it's a man's watch, given its size.

I would appreciate any ideas or suggestions you might have for a closer identification.

afire

#7 Post by afire » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:12 am

What are the markings in the case back? Are we sure it's not a jobber piece - a mid 1920s movement recased in the mid 1930s? That case style is not what Waltham was doing in the 1920s. Yesterday I took a little while to look at every Waltham ad currently on eBay from 1928 to 1938 and couldn't find a match.
Real men wear small watches.