Waltham Step Side model with 6/0 Jewel Series Ruby movement from 1929.

Vintage Waltham Watch Discussion Forum
441victor

Waltham Step Side model with 6/0 Jewel Series Ruby movement from 1929.

#1 Post by 441victor » Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:32 pm

This model appears throughout Waltham ads and catalogs from the 30’s. However, from the date of its movement it was offered before then. It does seem to have been quite popular and I can see why. It’s attractive Art Deco design effectively hides the presence of a large round movement. Waltham even offered buyers a second model choice with four instead of two stepped sections on each side of the bezel.

The dial has a full set of hour numerals of gold leaf surrounded by an outline of black. It has the usual bright blued hour and minute hands and a sub-second dial with a polished disc.

This model was originally driven by the “17j adjusted to temperature” Ruby grade from the Jewel Series. Later you could opt for a more expensive 21j Emerald movement.

Fortunately I had this band just waiting for the chance to complete this pairing. So it didn’t take long to get this beauty cleaned up and doing wrist duty.

I don’t know what everyone else is doing. But my growing rotation of Walthams has given me the distraction I’ve needed to survive the wait for Fred’s opus to arrive.

Joel

Magpie

Re: Waltham Step Side model with 6/0 Jewel Series Ruby movement from 1929.

#2 Post by Magpie » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:06 pm

Beautiful watch, Joel!

I got curious and checked my extensive collection of jobbers' catalogs to see what I could find about dating it. I went back as early as 1928 and continued year by year from then, finding that the first appearance of that model in Waltham pages was in the 1932 catalogs. (The image I'm posting below is from the 1932 [Ball] Blue Book Jewelry Store catalog.) Given the publication schedule for such catalogs, I assume that model was introduced in 1931. I don't think it's significant that the movement dates from a couple of years earlier; the watch manufacturers made a practice of producing runs of movements to have in inventory and use as needed.

441victor

Re: Waltham Step Side model with 6/0 Jewel Series Ruby movement from 1929.

#3 Post by 441victor » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:11 pm

Thanks for digging into this. I have this same illustration on page from an unidentified catalog. Same item numbers (6030 and 6031) but the prices were $68.75 for both. It was claimed to be from 1930. I don't have a feeling for whether higher pricing would support an earlier date or not. Researching Waltham is always based on scant evidence so I'm always tickled to find any historic mention of one of my watches even though the grain of salt rule is my constant companion. Joel