Vintage Watch Forums

Vintage Collector’s Site for Discussion
Home
Hamilton Watches for Sale
It is currently Fri Jan 20, 2017 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Antique D.D. Neveren London Pocket Watch (lots of pics)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:59 pm 

I just got a good deal on an antique possibly 1700's (not sure though) pocket watch. It is marked D.D. Neveren London. I have photos of the watch and very close ups of the movement and the dial. I believe it is silver and has a ruby movement.

I was just wondering if anyone knows much about this watch? Especially the year.

I know this may not be the most valuable pocket watch in the world, but the fact it could be over 200 years old makes it really neat.

My second question is, it runs well, but it is very fast (3 minutes late an hour). Is there a way to slow down the movement? I see there is a place on the back that it may be possible.

Thanks a lot for your help!!

ImageIMG_5430-2 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageDSC_4662-2 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5428-1 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageDSC_4663-3 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5432-3 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageDSC_4664-4 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageDSC_4674-5 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageDSC_4680-6 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageDSC_4683-7 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageDSC_4686-8 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageDSC_4688-9 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageDSC_4689-10 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageDSC_4690-11 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5436-4 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

ImageIMG_5438-5 by Conrad's Media Services, on Flickr

Post subject: Re: Antique D.D. Neveren London Pocket Watch (lots of pics)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:47 pm 

I don't know anything about how you'd adjust a watch like this, but having a fusee in working condition at all is a pretty good start from what I understand.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:36 pm 

Congratulations on the purchase of a fine old time piece.

First, what afire said is true. A working verge fusee' is not something the untrained messes with. Also keep in mind that time keeping requirements were not as exacting as they are today. Close was good enough.

That being said, there is some adjustment available. It may not still work but here is what to try.

On the back of the movement, there are two small square shafts. One winds the mainspring and the other regulates the time keeping. The time regulator is the one with the small dial associated with it. Originally there would have been a small pointer attached to the shaft.

Turning this shaft lengthens or shortens the hairspring, thus making the movement run slower or faster. Try moving the shaft a small amount and see what happens. Avoid extremes until you see how the movement reacts. Lots of things could have happened inside the watch over the last two hundred or so years.

Just remember. A broken Fusee is a hanger not a carrier. They are VERY difficult to repair and VERY FEW watch repairman even try.

As for the age. Somewhere on the case should be some " hallmarks " that when properly read, will tell you the date, city and marker of the case.
Movements can usually be dated " around " the date of the case. Also , you have part the case. Originally there would have also been an outer case that fit around this one , but didn't have a crystal. The idea was to protect the inner one from damage.

Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:05 pm 

The OP goes by the username "JohnOak" on the NAWCC site and asked this same question there as well as a number of other websites including 'Ask Yahoo'. They seem to have determined that the watch is a "Dutch" fake, likely made in France in the mid 1800's. One other forum indicates Neveren was 'notorious' for passing off watches he claimed to be made in London but in fact were sourced from various places in Europe.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:10 pm 

Interesting. So it's a 19th century fake of a 17th or 18th century watch. But it is an actual verge fusee. What I find most surprising is that it would have been profitable to make a working verge fusee in the mid 19th century to pass off as 100-200 years old.