world pocket watch

Vintage Pocket Watch Discussion Forum
VSim

Re: world pocket watch

#11 Post by VSim » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:33 pm

JerseyMo wrote:The landing page correctly identifies my time zone yet the cities listed in the top right cornet are wrong.
How are they wrong ? Do they have the wrong time ?
JerseyMo wrote:The app should be intuitive and I do not find that to be the case. I suggest you place the instructions "Which there are more than a few" along side the clock rather than below.
Thanks for the advice but it stays as it is. I fail to see how placing them alongside instead of below makes things more intuitive. They still have to be read.
I prefer them to be below for design reasons. I imagine the basic use case of the app as the user holding the device, probably a medium-sized phone, vertically, because that's how it's usually done. Then he sees the clock and the beginning of the instructions, so he knows they're there. Then he can enlarge portions of the screen and read them if he needs to. You're probably seeing it on a PC screen. Which of course is also an important way of viewing the site but the mobile view has precedence IMO. I could of course write something like "see notes below" to the right of the clock if the screen is landscape. Maybe I'll do it at some point.
JerseyMo wrote:So instead of directing me to read the very complicated instructions, you should have explained to me how to change the settings.
Go Read the BOL is not what an end user wants to hear.
Sometimes things aren't that simple and the user has to read the instructions and the help. That's what they're for. My app isn't the only program that has instructions. If you find them very complicated, well, I disagree but it's your opinion. I did the best I could to keep them simple.
Anyway, did you at least read them ?
Anyway, why would you want to change the settings when you say the default time zone is right ? Do you have the right time for the cities in your time zone ? If so, you don't need to change any settings.
JerseyMo wrote:A cheeky use of the Socratic Method will not work on me. (AKA - answering a question with a question).
As I told you already, your questions are irrelevant to my app IMO. So of course I won't answer them. Unless you answer them for your preferred vintage pocket watch first :) . Then depending on your answer I might try to do something similar. But I don't promise anything.
JerseyMo wrote:What is this app coded in?
Going back to this question, the app itself is in Java, in Android Studio. But the app is just a very small part of the program functionality. It's basically just a shortcut to the site. The site is in the standard Web technologies, HTML + CSS + JavaScript.
This way I can make the necessary changes and improvements to the program which the user sees immediately, without needing to upgrade anything. And I hope I'll never have to change the app itself any more, though of course one can never know for sure. It's basically an app in the cloud. Which has its drawbacks but IMO the benefits far outweigh them, at least in this case.

JerseyMo

#12 Post by JerseyMo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:18 pm

01100111 01101111 01101111 01100100 00100000 01101100 01110101 01100011 01101011 00100000 01110111 01101001 01110100 01101000 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01100011 01101111 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

VSim

#13 Post by VSim » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:34 am

OK, I was hoping to have a constructive dialog. I thought you either have genuine questions you want clarified, for yourself, or maybe you're trying to help me improve things. But you're exaggerating things grossly, and trying to lecture me, as I see.
If you change your mind and want me to actually clarify things you didn't understand, I'm all yours. Until then - bye.

VSim

#14 Post by VSim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:51 pm

Hello all

Just want to let you know that I've sort of taken care of the design problem. Of course, not by becoming a watch designer. Neither did I hire one. Instead, I took a classic (and publicly available) style and changed my site to it. It's the obvious choice for a style. You can admire it here:

http://intelnav.50webs.com/world_time.html

Now, of course, if by any chance anybody wants to comment on whether the new look is better than the old one, I'm all ears. Also, if anybody would like to suggest another possible design. But only public-domain ones for now.
Anyway, in the not so distant future I hope I'll provide both styles optionally for the user, as well as a few other very interesting style options. But I'm not there yet.

Regards
V. Sim.

stryfox

#15 Post by stryfox » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:31 pm

The hour hand seems to function as a jump hour?
At 3:29 the hour hand is fixed on the 3.
To people who use analogue timepieces this just appears wrong.
Yes it is easy to adapt to but my brain doesn't like looking at it the way it is.
There is some feebback you asked for.

VSim

#16 Post by VSim » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm

Thanks for the feedback.
Guilty as charged. :)
Indeed, I only used 2 positions per hour for the hour hand, one at the hour mark and one at the half-hour. For the obvious reason it's easier like this, I only have to have 24 images for the small hand. I could of course make more, the code itself wouldn't be more complicated (not by much anyway) but I would need to create the images. I didn't think anybody would consider this important enough to comment on it. (In a way, it's a good think that people don't have anything more serious to criticize.)
I'll probably take this into account at some point and make 4 positions per hour for the hour hand. More would be useless I think, 4 per hour is almost 1 per minute so it seems to be enough. So, I noted your observation. But I can't promise I'll do it very quickly, I have a lot of other things planned that I consider more important. I guess I'll get to it sometime this year. :)

VSim

#17 Post by VSim » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:21 am

I just fixed it. The small hand now has 4 positions per hour. Hope it feels better.

VSim

#18 Post by VSim » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:20 am

Just published version 2, which has the important function of showing the app on the device lock screen. By default it's disabled of course, it only happens at the user's request. It also functions when the device goes off then on, even if locking isn't enabled, the first thing the user sees is my clock. If, of course, the option is selected.
I think this makes my app a true virtual pocket watch.
It's in the same place at

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .worldtime