world pocket watch

Vintage Pocket Watch Discussion Forum
VSim

world pocket watch

#1 Post by VSim » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:25 pm

Hello

I'm new here.
I'm not going to beat around the bush. I've written a site based on my own idea of a world clock design. The idea is novel, as far as I know (I searched for it thoroughly).
The site is here:

http://intelnav.50webs.com/world_time.html

There's also an app to go with it, currently only for Android. It's here:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... .worldtime

Now, the point is, if you launch the app on a properly-sized Android device, such as a big enough smartphone, you get something that closely resembles a world pocket watch. So I thought maybe some folks here would be interested to see it and give me their opinion. I for one would be very interested to know some opinions of people knowledgeable in the field.
As a final note, I'm sure the design could be improved. To me it looks good enough, but it certainly could be better. I'm not a watch designer, I'm a programmer. But you get the idea. You can imagine it with a different design if you want to, I won't mind. :)

Regards
V. Simionescu
programmer
Bucharest, Romania

VSim

Re: world pocket watch

#2 Post by VSim » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:06 am

Not much interest, as I see.
Whatever.

vintagehamiltons

#3 Post by vintagehamiltons » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:17 pm

And with that attitude, we'll say bye-bye for awhile.

Tom Diss
Mod Squad

VSim

#4 Post by VSim » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:04 am

With that kind of attitude you'll remain stuck at one post per month (and I'm being polite).
Bye. Don't count on ever seeing me back here.

vintagehamiltons

#5 Post by vintagehamiltons » Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:53 am

Your need to improve your math skills since I've averaged 1+ posts per day since 2011 and have the third highest post count on the forum. :lol:

OK, what you've failed to understand is that we are firstly a vintage watch site. This means that although we're interested in horology, I'm guessing most of us enjoy watches because they are little timekeeping machines with springs, bearings, gears, etc. Manufacturing such tiny parts with such precision is almost mind-blowing. Add aesthetics and that is the allure for us.

Writing an app, however elegant it may be, just doesn't compare. I prefer the tangible, mechanical object. My opinion only.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

VSim

#6 Post by VSim » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:40 am

OK, since I detect a clear change in attitude from your part I'll add a few things myself.
(As a side note, I honestly don't see what was wrong with my attitude that brought me that ban. I was just expressing my dissatisfaction that nobody cared to answer. I don't think I offended anybody. But whatever, it's just a minor issue.)

I do understand that this is your opinion and of many others here, and I respect it. And frankly I expected it. But I just hoped that maybe there will also be some folks who, while enjoying those wonderfully precise springs and gears (and, might I add, the great science that is behind the mechanism as a whole), could see the similarity, novelty and usefulness of my app + site (they work together). Or at least that's how I see it.
Frankly, and more to the point, I was hoping maybe a few people would say they like the idea. Even if of course it's far from a vintage pocket watch (but there is also a good chunk of similarity, I don't think anybody can deny that). Well, it didn't happen so that's it. Life goes on.

JerseyMo

#7 Post by JerseyMo » Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:06 pm

I do not understand this app. Why does it show New Deli and Tehran if I am in EST zone?
Why are some city names in white and others in blue?
The instructions are listed below the image?
The city names look offset..

What is this app coded in?

if you had to present this app for project approval how would you answer these questions?

How does this make our company more efficient?
How does this cut our current cost?

and just to mention I am a PM in IS&T for 30+ years..... 8-)

To me technology is what I what to get away from and vintage watches help me do just that!
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (130.71 KiB) Viewed 667 times
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”

vintagehamiltons

#8 Post by vintagehamiltons » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:13 pm

VSim wrote:OK, since I detect a clear change in attitude from your part I'll add a few things myself.
(As a side note, I honestly don't see what was wrong with my attitude that brought me that ban. I was just expressing my dissatisfaction that nobody cared to answer. I don't think I offended anybody. But whatever, it's just a minor issue.)

I do understand that this is your opinion and of many others here, and I respect it. And frankly I expected it. But I just hoped that maybe there will also be some folks who, while enjoying those wonderfully precise springs and gears (and, might I add, the great science that is behind the mechanism as a whole), could see the similarity, novelty and usefulness of my app + site (they work together). Or at least that's how I see it.
Frankly, and more to the point, I was hoping maybe a few people would say they like the idea. Even if of course it's far from a vintage pocket watch (but there is also a good chunk of similarity, I don't think anybody can deny that). Well, it didn't happen so that's it. Life goes on.
You didn't offend anyone, but your dismissive attitude was the reason for the time out.
Tom Diss
Mod Squad

VSim

#9 Post by VSim » Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:00 am

Glad you agree I didn't offend anybody.
Also, glad to see some folks at least showing some interest.
JerseyMo wrote:I do not understand this app. Why does it show New Deli and Tehran if I am in EST zone?
Why are some city names in white and others in blue?
The instructions are listed below the image?
There are indeed a few notes, you can call them instructions if you like, below the image. Please read them and if you have further questions I'll be glad to answer them. It's not that complicated.
JerseyMo wrote:How does this make our company more efficient?
Come on. It's not a productivity tool. It's just an app for the average user. Like a pocket watch. How would you answer these questions for your favorite vintage pocket watch ? :)

JerseyMo

#10 Post by JerseyMo » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:22 am

Capture4.JPG
Capture4.JPG (134.87 KiB) Viewed 641 times
"There are indeed a few notes, you can call them instructions if you like, below the image. Please read them and if you have further questions I'll be glad to answer them. It's not that complicated."

The landing page correctly identifies my time zone yet the cities listed in the top right cornet are wrong.
The app should be intuitive and I do not find that to be the case. I suggest you place the instructions "Which there are more than a few" along side the clock rather than below.
So instead of directing me to read the very complicated instructions, you should have explained to me how to change the setttings.
Go Read the BOL is not what an end user wants to hear.
JerseyMo wrote:How does this make our company more efficient?
Come on. It's not a productivity tool. It's just an app for the average user. Like a pocket watch. How would you answer these questions for your favorite vintage pocket watch ? :)[/quote]

A cheeky use of the Socratic Method will not work on me. (AKA - answering a question with a question).
“Someday, and that day may never come, I’ll call upon you to do a service for me. But, until that day, accept this justice as a gift”