Dropped pocket watch stopped after impact then started

Vintage Pocket Watch Discussion Forum
emiway

Dropped pocket watch stopped after impact then started

#1 Post by emiway » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:39 am

I have a Royal London pocket watch in great condition and well taken care of. This morning pulling it out of my inner left jacket pocket to give it the morning turns, it slipped out of my hand falling 4 feet onto carpet. There was a solid “thud” when it impacted. I opened the watch and it was not moving and was jostled around; the hands had stopped at 210 when I last fully wound it the prior morning. The watch itself last about 28 hours on a full wound. Examining the lifeless watch I decided to give the head a turn and see what happens. It turned fine with no grinding or noise but the second hand lay still. Another outta do the trick, still no movement. My anxiety began to grow knowing I’d have to take it to a professional. I turned my attention away from the watch momentarily to get my coffee then back and by the god of time it was ticking again. Should I still have the internals looked at, is this normal behavior for a pocket watch when dropped? Is there anything else I should be concerned or on the lookout for once dropped? Thank you -Talon

emiway

Re: Dropped pocket watch stopped after impact then started

#2 Post by emiway » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:08 am

I have a Royal London pocket watch in great condition and well taken care of. This morning pulling it out of my inner left jacket pocket to give it the morning turns, it slipped out of my hand falling 4 feet onto carpet. There was a solid “thud” when it impacted. I opened the watch and it was not moving and was jostled around; the hands had stopped at 210 when I last fully wound it the prior morning. The watch itself last about 28 hours on a full wound. Examining the lifeless watch I decided to give the head a turn and see what happens. It turned fine with no grinding or noise but the second hand lay still. Another outta do the trick, still no movement. My anxiety began to grow knowing I’d have to take it to a professional. I turned my attention away from the watch momentarily to get my coffee then back and by the god of time it was ticking again. Should I still have the internals looked at, is this normal behavior for a pocket watch when dropped? Is there anything else I should be concerned or on the lookout for once dropped? Thank you -Talon VidMate AnyDesk mobdro.onl/