How to wear a pocket watch?

Vintage Pocket Watch Discussion Forum
Bansisingh

How to wear a pocket watch?

#1 Post by Bansisingh » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:12 am

Hi everyone. My wife bought me a 100 year old pocket watch. It's amazing, exposed gears on the back and everything. I'm an old-timey soul and this is a fantastic gift. When I wear vests, I pop this thing in ASAP.

My question : how do you wear a pocketwatch without a vest?

I like the more "business" type look, or what might be considered "business casual". Typically - colored chinos, button down, sweater/vest/jacket and contrasting shoes. It's a smart look.

THanks in advance!

Oh, it came with a metal chain. Shiny/polished, but not the greatest from a design perspective. We've been discussing switching it for some sort of leather strap.

Thanks!

JerryT

Re: How to wear a pocket watch?

#2 Post by JerryT » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:22 pm

A pocket watch should ideally not be worn in the bottom of a regular pants pocket (too much leg motion) and definitely not in a pocket with anything else in it (keys, coins etc. will scratch it). I search for pants that have a watch pocket and use a woven leather thong for most days unless I want to be fancy. A good tailor can put a watch pocket in dressier pants for you. Keep the thong/chain relatively short so you do not catch it on passing objects. Usually the crystal should be facing in so that if you bump into a table edge or similar hard object you will not smash the crystal. Since yours sounds like it has an exhibition back, that might be the side needing more protection. Some people wear a watch in a shirt or coat pocket, but I think that is too liable to fall out if you bend over. Remember that the larger balance wheel in a pocket watch has no shock protection and because of its mass it is more sensitive to shock than the small balance wheel in a wristwatch, so protect it from hard knocks or dropping or you may have an expensive repair to deal with.
thong.jpg
thong.jpg (293.44 KiB) Viewed 164 times

Bansisingh

Re: How to wear a pocket watch?

#3 Post by Bansisingh » Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:21 am

Bansisingh wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:12 am
Hi everyone. My wife bought me a 100 year old pocket watch. It's amazing, exposed gears on the back and everything. I'm an old-timey soul and this is a fantastic gift. When I wear vests, I pop this thing in ASAP.

My question : how do you wear a pocketwatch without a vest?

I like the more "business" type look, or what might be considered "business casual". Typically - colored chinos, button down, sweater/vest/jacket and contrasting shoes. It's a smart look.

THanks in advance!

Oh, it came with a metal chain. Shiny/polished, but not the greatest from a design perspective. We've been discussing switching it for some sort of leather strap.

Thanks!
Thank you so much

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

https://downloader.vip/the-pirate-bay/ PutLocker https://appsync.biz/123movies/