Quick shout-out for advice on mailing your watch in for inspection?

Vintage Pocket Watch Discussion Forum
jordachex

Quick shout-out for advice on mailing your watch in for inspection?

#1 Post by jordachex » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:54 am

So I have an IWC Schaffausen 1913 gold pocket watch that sets, winds, and runs accurately...though not on an expected 24hr cycle. This could be due to being kept in storage for many years and not regularly wound or used. Or it could be due to a broken part. The hope is that the watch can be corrected with a full service cleaning, oiling, and adjustment...for a reasonable price.
So apparently, at no initial cost to me, IWC in New York will take a look at it and give me a price on cleaning...or repair, depending on what they find. I have not called IWC yet. I live on the west coast, so perhaps Fedex delivery and $3000 insurance? I have not mailed a watch for inspection before. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Tags:

watchdoc#1

Re: Quick shout-out for advice on mailing your watch in for inspection?

#2 Post by watchdoc#1 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:15 pm

Fedex delivery and $3000 insurance?
Sounds like you've got it pretty well covered....
I used to be known as "watchdoc" now I'm watchdoc#1. Check me out under the members list. :roll:

retroworx

#3 Post by retroworx » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:21 am

jordachex wrote:
Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:54 am
so perhaps Fedex delivery and $3000 insurance?
If I am not mistaken, Fedex will not honor insurance on jewelry and watches. Here is an old link on the exception. Things certainly may have changed, but I think not:

http://www.fedex.com/us/smallbusiness/u ... welry.html
My vintage watch collection on Instagram: @retroworx
https://www.instagram.com/retroworx/

jordachex

#4 Post by jordachex » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:57 am

I like to share information and advice.
So with 125 views to this post...AND 2 REPLIES!
...I wanted to post some important advice on this topic from another site:

"IWC in New York is offering "at no cost" to give you an estimate? Does that include return shipping with insurance if you decline the service quote? If the watch sets, winds and runs, then there aren't likely to be any broken parts--there may be worn parts however. Setting aside the precautions needed for mailing a vintage gold pocket watch across the U.S. I would not do it for the following reasons:

1) Once IWC has the watch, the will quote you for a vintage restoration, not a standard overhaul. Looking at their prices list for wristwatches (its downloadable), I see that the least expensive is $490 for mechanical movement without complications, and goes all the way up tp $2,490. I would imagine that they will charge you a premium price for the restoration of a 105 year old pocket watch. Your guess is as good as mine on this one!

2) I would get clarification on what the procedures are for declining an overhaul. I don't think they can provide you with an estimate without doing some preliminary disassembly, and it seems unlikely to me that this will NOT incur a cost if you then say "no thanks" to moving forward with service after the quote--and they WILL charge you for sending it back".

J

watchdoc#1

#5 Post by watchdoc#1 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:11 pm

So with 125 views to this post...AND 2 REPLIES!
I wouldn't let that bother you...sometimes there are more "lurkers" than members online, and don't get me started on spammers that get accounts.
I used to be known as "watchdoc" now I'm watchdoc#1. Check me out under the members list. :roll:

jordachex

#6 Post by jordachex » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:29 pm

Amazing. We're POCKET WATCH GUY'S!!! Not Not investment bankers with ties to the Kremlin!!!

jordachex

#7 Post by jordachex » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:33 pm

...but I will try to follow up on what IWC has to say when I call them. The info would be a probable common theme with these companies.