Will a Railroad Grade Movement fit?

Vintage Pocket Watch Discussion Forum
BruceWSims

Will a Railroad Grade Movement fit?

#1 Post by BruceWSims » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:02 am

Hi, Folks:

Many years back I was given an Arnex 17 jewel pocket watch with a cherished inscription inside the cover of the hunter case. It had been a very faithful daily carry until its unexpected trip through a washing machine. Rather than simply replace the circa 1970-s movement I have wondered if it would be possible to up-grade to a Hamilton or Illinois railroad grade watch movement.
I know that Arnex is a European watch and that sizing differs from American pocket watches. Does anyone have any thoughts on what this would entail?

Best Wishes,

Bruce

unreformed66

Re: Will a Railroad Grade Movement fit?

#2 Post by unreformed66 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:17 am

That's not a viable project. American railroad grade movements are too large for your case which most probably came with a Unitas 6498 (which is a 16 1/2 ligne or about 10 size movement. American railroad grade movements are all either 16 size or 18 size and are too large for your case. Not to mention that they have a completely different stem arrangement. The Unitas movements are exceptionally easy to find, why not just replace it? I've got quite a few of them that I service and then sell to people who want to build custom wristwatches with them.