Railway Regulador (with a 'd')

Vintage Pocket Watch Discussion Forum
KevinP

Railway Regulador (with a 'd')

#1 Post by KevinP » Tue May 22, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi all. First post but I've been absorbing some of your wisdom silently. I've been using a pocket watch for some years now but only recently have started anything resembling the collecting of vintage specimens.

So...a Swiss-made watch with 'railway regulador' with a 'd'...does this imply use in a non-English speaking country? 'Railway' and 'Swiss made' imply an English market though.

Example:

afire

Re: Railway Regulador (with a 'd')

#2 Post by afire » Tue May 22, 2018 7:28 pm

My guess would be turn of the century marketing jargon run amok. At the time, association with railroad use would have been a badge of high quality. "Regulador" is not the equivalent of "Regulator" in any of the languages spoken in Switzerland. It is, however, Spanish. I suppose it could be a watch of the caliber approved for railroad use in a Spanish speaking country, but then I'd wonder why "railway" and "Swiss made" are printed in English. I think the more likely explanation is that this would be a lower quality watch that has a railway reference printed on the dial to suggest that it is of finer quality than it really is. Plus, the green guilloche enamel figures, while a nice looking detail, are not what you typically see in railroad watches.

Brought to you by somebody with only a passing knowledge of these matters. Somebody who actually knows will be along shortly. In the meantime, posting photos of the movement will go a long way towards assessing what we're really looking at here.
Real men wear small watches.

KevinP

#3 Post by KevinP » Tue May 22, 2018 8:04 pm

The above picture isn't the one I was looking at.

This one caught my eye. Note the auction closes in four hours from when I'm posting this. I lean towards it being too expensive though I'm no expert in such matters. If someone here wants to bid on it, I'm unlikely to bid against you. (That said, I don't believe there's international shipping option.)

https://www.trademe.co.nz/jewellery-wat ... aae7f11027

The numbers, such as they are, on the dial are odd. I know they're required to be Arabic for an actual railroad chronometer, so this probably isn't one, unless it just predates that particular requirement.

If anyone thinks it's a good price but decides not to bid, let me know. I could be persuaded back.

Assuming the page displays the currency in NZ dollars on your end, that's about US$155.

afire

#4 Post by afire » Tue May 22, 2018 9:09 pm

The movement shots tell the story. Very low grade cylinder escapement watch. The current bid of $225 seems like a lot. It's definitely a lot. You could get a massively higher quality watch for probably half that amount.
Real men wear small watches.

JerryT

#5 Post by JerryT » Tue May 22, 2018 10:33 pm

It is not even a cylinder escapement. It looks like a Roskopf system pin-lever escapement.

KevinP

#6 Post by KevinP » Tue May 22, 2018 10:54 pm

I appreciate the help, both in saving me from a bad purchase and in helping me learn what to look for.